Physics can make you brain dead?

In summary, the conversation is about the effects of taking a difficult midterm exam and how it can make one feel "special" or "retarded." The question is also posed to see if others have had similar experiences with advanced courses causing their brains to stop. One person shares a goofy story about getting into a car accident while studying for a C++ final. Another person mentions how they handle the stress of exams by sleeping.
bjon-07
I not sure if this has happened to any of you guys but I always slightly "special" after finsihing an hard midterm I have been studying all week (9-13 hour days). Now that's is over I feel great, althought I feel completely retarted.

Does this happen to any of guys, after taking a course in advanced physics, chemistry, math, your brain just stops. Got any goofy stories to tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last year, I got in a wreck on the way to a C++ final. I was trying to study and drive. What an idiot! I drove right into the truck in front of me (which wasn't moving). I still have a big dent on my front bumper as a souvenir from that exam. :grumpy:

lol, i might be needing a date again, because your having a dent in your front bumper brought up all sorts of visions.
there have been a couple of tests left me a wreck until after I learned the results, but most of those ones involved urine or blood or breath.

I don't put that much effort into stuff. Whenever my brain hurts, I go to sleep.

1. What is the connection between physics and brain function?

Physics is the study of matter and energy and how they interact with each other. The brain is a complex organ that relies on electrical signals to function. Therefore, understanding the principles of physics can help us understand how the brain works and how it can be affected by external factors.

2. Can studying physics lead to brain damage or impairment?

No, studying physics does not cause brain damage or impairment. However, some concepts in physics, such as quantum mechanics, may challenge our understanding of the world and require a lot of mental effort. This can lead to temporary feelings of confusion or fatigue, but it does not cause any long-term damage to the brain.

3. Are there any benefits to studying physics for brain health?

Yes, there are several benefits to studying physics for brain health. Learning about complex concepts and solving problems can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important for maintaining a healthy brain. Additionally, the act of learning and challenging the brain can help prevent cognitive decline.

4. Can exposure to certain physical phenomena cause brain damage?

In general, exposure to physical phenomena, such as radiation or extreme temperatures, can be harmful to the brain. However, this is dependent on the intensity and duration of the exposure. In normal, everyday situations, there is no risk of brain damage from physical phenomena.

5. Is there a link between physics and mental illness or brain disorders?

There is no direct link between studying physics and mental illness or brain disorders. However, some individuals with certain mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, may have difficulty understanding and processing complex physics concepts. This is not a result of studying physics, but rather a symptom of the illness.