Induced EMF ~ Faraday's Law/Lenz's Law

In summary, GianPSE3 is having trouble understanding the questions and needs help to figure out what he is doing wrong.
Kali8972
I'm having a lot of trouble with the following questions. I was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I suppose my biggest problem is I don't understand how to do these without knowing the number of turns in the coil. Here's what I've done so far:

1. [GianPSE3 29.P.002.] A 20 cm diameter circular loop of wire lies in a plane perpendicular to a 0.80 T magnetic field. It is removed from the field in 0.10 s. What is the average induced emf?

2. [GianPSE3 29.P.005.] A 8.0 cm diameter loop of wire is initially oriented perpendicular to a 1.2 T magnetic field. It is rotated so that its plane is parallel to the field direction in 0.40 s. What is the average induced emf in the loop?

3. [GianPSE3 29.P.006.] A 7.6 cm diameter wire coil is initially oriented so that its plane is perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.63 T pointing up. During the course of 0.12 s, the field is changed to one of 0.25T pointing down. What is the average induced emf in the coil?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Work is in attatched pictures! Thanks!

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 860
  • problem2.jpg
    problem2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,139
  • problem3.jpg
    problem3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
I've not seen the images but it sounds like each problem is considering 1 loop of wire.

I vaguely remember the following equation:

induced emf = - rate of change of flux = - N x A x B x sin (theta)

N = number of loops
A = area enclosed by loops
B = strength of magnetic field
theta = angle between plane of loop/s and magnetic field

That should be all you need assuming I've remembered the equation correctly.

(Does anyone know how make proper equations in this forum?)

Hmm.. I don't know why they don't show up

They're located here however:

http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem1.jpg
http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem2.jpg
http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem3.jpg

That helps a lot knowing it's one loop. I was getting really confused on that part. For the area in problems 2 and 3 do you know what I do for it? I'm not sure on the shape so should I just square it?

Last edited by a moderator:
When they refer to a 'loop', they mean a circular piece of wire so the area is just pi*radius^2 for both 2 and 3 (as far as I can tell).

To find average emf, calculate the beginning emf, the end emf and then average the two results. This will only work if the change in orientation of the loop or the change of field is uniform but that does seem to be the case so it should work just fine.

Last edited:
it looks like the equation you should be using is something like

emf = -(rate of change of flux w.r.t. time)
= -d/dt (NAB sin theta)
= -d/dt (NAB sin (wt))
= -w*NAB cos (wt)

Go to the following link and see page 19:

http://www.cs.ntu.edu.au/homepages/jmitroy/sph102/sect08.pdf

I hope I'm helping more than hindering :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How does Faraday's Law relate to induced EMF?

Faraday's Law states that the magnitude of induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conducting loop. In other words, the faster the magnetic field changes, the greater the induced EMF.

What is Lenz's Law and how does it apply to induced EMF?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law and states that the direction of the induced EMF will oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the conducting loop. It is also affected by the resistance of the conductor and the size and shape of the loop.

What are some practical applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has many practical applications, including power generation in turbines, operation of electric motors, and inductive charging of devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes. It is also used in transformers to change the voltage of an alternating current.