Combinations and their application to probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of combinatorics to probability, with a focus on calculating the probability of certain outcomes involving combinations of ingredients or balls. The conversation also addresses confusion regarding the calculations for these probabilities.
Beam me down
I am doing some work on high school (Australia) level combinatorics. So I've been taught nCr, nPr, and of course factorial (!). Now I need to apply the combinatorics to probability.

There a two questions which I am stuck on.

Bill is making a sandwich. He may choose any combination of the following: lettuce, tomato, carrot, cheese, cucumber, beetroot, onion, ham. Find the probability that:
a. the sandwich contains ham
b. the sandwich contains three ingredients
c. the sandwich contains at least three ingredients

I calcualted that the sample space of all combinations was [itex]2^8-1[/itex] since there has to be at least one ingredient for there to be a samwhich.

For part (a):
[tex]Pr(samwhich contains ham)=\frac {n(Ham)}{2^8-1}[/tex], where n(ham) is the number of combinations including ham.

The answer indicates that [itex]n(ham) = 2^7[/itex], but I don't know why it is [itex]2^7[/itex].

Part (b) is:
[tex]\frac {^8 C_3}{2^8-1}[/tex]

Part (c) I worked out to be (which is right according to the book):
[tex]\frac {\sum_{n=3}^8 ^8 C_n}{2^8-1}[/tex]

Another problem question for me is:
A bag contains five white, six red and seven blue balls. If three balls are selected at
random, without replacement, find the probability they are:
(a) all red
(b) all different colours

From that information I caculated that [itex]n(\epsilon) = ^18 P_3[/itex]. From that I caculated for (a) that the probaility of all red is:

[tex]Pr(all red) = \frac {5*4*3}{^18 P_3} = \frac {60}{4896} = \frac {5}{408}[/tex]

But the answer in the book is 5/204, so I'm off by a factor of 2, and I don't know why.

I calcualted part be to be:

[tex]Pr(all different colors) = \frac {7}{136}[/tex]

But the book says the answer is:

[tex]Pr(all different colors) = \frac {35}{136}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ask yourself:
How many combinations do NOT include ham?

arildno said:
Well, ask yourself:
How many combinations do NOT include ham?

Ah it would be:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^7 ^7 C_n = 2^7[/tex]

Thanks for that.

I would also be extremely appreciative if anyone could help me on the second question in my original post.

Beam me down said:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^7 ^7 C_n = 2^7[/tex]
Actually, not quite for those sandwiches that do not include ham--remember that you're not counting sandwiches with 0 ingredients. That is correct for those that do include ham.

In your second question, the numerator should not be 5 * 4 * 3. First you choose from among 6 red marbles, then you choose from among 5 red marbles, then you choose from among 4 red marbles.

In the other part of it, you forgot to consider permutations. You've given only the probability of choosing White, Red, Blue. But also Red, White, Blue, or Blue, Red, White, or the other permutations of the three colors should be counted.

1. What is a combination?

A combination is a way of selecting a group of objects from a larger set without considering the order in which the objects are selected. In other words, it is a selection of objects where the arrangement of the objects does not matter.

2. How is a combination different from a permutation?

Unlike a combination, a permutation is a way of selecting objects where the order of the objects does matter. In other words, the arrangement of the objects is taken into consideration when counting the number of permutations.

3. How do combinations relate to probability?

Combinations are used in probability to determine the number of possible outcomes in an event. By using combinations, we can calculate the total number of ways an event can occur and use that information to calculate the probability of a particular outcome.

4. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. This formula is also known as the combination formula or the binomial coefficient formula.

5. Can combinations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, combinations can be used in various real-life situations, such as in card games, lottery, and sports brackets. They are also used in fields such as genetics, where the combination of genes from two parents determines the traits of their offspring.