Directional derivative: radial direction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gradient of a 3D surface equation at a specific point in the radial direction. The radial direction is defined as a unit vector from (0,0,0) through the given point. The gradient of the function is found and the derivative in the radial direction is determined using the dot product. The conversation concludes with clarification on the notation used.
Yura
(hmm. wasnt to sure about where to post this)

im given an equation to a 3d surface and asked to find the gradient at a certain point, in the radial direction.

my question is, what is the radial direction?

[ the equation is f(x,y) = 3*(x^2)*y + 2*y if its needed ]

Physics news on Phys.org
The radial direction, at the point (x,y,z) is the direction of the ray from (0,0,0) through (x,y,z). In particular, a unit vector in that direction is
[tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec i+ \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec j+ \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec k[/tex].

The gradient of the function f(x,y)= 3x2y+ 2y is, of course,
[tex]\nabla f= 6xy\vec i+ (3x^2+ 2)\vec j[/tex]
and the derivative "in the radial direction" is the dot product
[tex](6xy\vec i+ (3x^2+ 2)\vec j) \cdot (\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec i+ \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec j+ \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec k)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{6x^2y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec i+ \frac{y(2x^2+ 2)}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}\vec j[/tex]

Do you mean

[tex]= \frac{6x^2y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}+ \frac{y(2x^2+ 2)}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}[/tex]

i.e. sans the i-hat and j-hat? The dot product is a scalar.

Oops! Yes, of course.

thankyou! i was stuck on that one for ages ><

thanks again for the help.

1. What is a directional derivative in the radial direction?

A directional derivative in the radial direction is a mathematical tool used in multivariate calculus to measure the rate of change of a function in a particular direction from a given point. In this case, the direction is along a radius from the origin.

2. How is the radial direction defined?

The radial direction is defined as the direction along a straight line connecting a given point to the origin. In other words, it is the direction of the radius of a circle centered at the origin.

3. How is the directional derivative in the radial direction calculated?

The directional derivative in the radial direction is calculated using the gradient of the function at the given point and the unit vector in the radial direction. This can be represented mathematically as Drf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) • ur, where ur is the unit vector in the radial direction.

4. What does the value of the directional derivative in the radial direction represent?

The value of the directional derivative in the radial direction represents the slope of the function at the given point in the direction of the radius. It indicates how fast the function changes as you move along the radius from the origin.

5. Can the directional derivative in the radial direction be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative in the radial direction can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the radius, meaning the function is getting smaller as you move away from the origin.