I think this is close enough to a math question.

• Thread starter mineys
  • Start date
In summary, three recent college graduates rent a room for $30 and split the cost evenly. However, the room turns out to only be $25, so the manager gives the bellboy $5 to return to the group. The bellboy takes $2 for himself, leaving $3 to be distributed among the group. The total amount paid by the group and the bellboy adds up to $30, resolving the supposed missing dollar. This is a well-known brain teaser and not a true mathematics problem.
mineys
So there are three guys fresh out of college who want to save money, so they decide to rent a room. The room costs 30 dollars, so they split it 10-10-10. They pay, but it turns out the room is only $25, so the manager asks the bellboy to take $5 and to give it back. The bellboy takes a 'tip' off the top, and gives back $3. So, the paid $9 each. 9*3=27. The bellboy has $2. 9*3+2=$29. Where is the last dollar?

If you know the answer or have heard it before, a simple "oooh, i get it" will suffice. Please do not spoil it for others until they are just about ready to commit suicide.

That is all.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Highlight to read: Why have you done 9*3+2=29? 9*3=27, the total amount paid (25 for the room, 2 to the bellboy), then each person gets one dollar back each, so this sums to 30.

Note, we have a https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 forum.

Yea I've seen this one before.

Ohhh i get it...lol

You probably won't catch too many people around here with that one. :D

i have heard it before. its a very widely known brain teaser.

I think this is more of a tautology and not a maths problem.

The original total cost of the room = $30.00.
Upon review, the total cost of the room is now = $25.00.

This leaves $5.00.

If they bell man takes $2.00, there are $3.00 remaining.

25.00+2.00 = 27 + 3 = 30.

Unless I am an idiot, I don't see the dilemma. I am going to go find the solution to this and see if there is a trick or something -- it seems to straight forward to me (I have never seen this before).

EDIT: can't seem to find this problem when I google it -- did you rewrite it?

Last edited:
Well, I'd never heard it before, but the "solution" is clear! Just like any other brain teaser, it's meant to catch you out and disguise the answer. However, as uart says, I don't think many mathematicians will be caught out by it!

1. How is math related to science?

Math is an essential tool in the field of science. It provides a way to quantify and measure physical phenomena, make predictions, and analyze data. Without math, many scientific concepts and theories would not be possible to understand or explain.

2. Why is it important to use math in scientific research?

Using math in scientific research allows for precise and accurate measurements and calculations, which are crucial for drawing meaningful conclusions. It also helps to reduce human error and allows for reproducibility of results.

3. What are some examples of math used in science?

Some examples of math used in science include algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and differential equations. Scientists use these mathematical concepts to model and explain natural phenomena, analyze data, and make predictions.

4. How can I improve my math skills for scientific studies?

One way to improve your math skills for scientific studies is to practice regularly. You can also seek help from tutors or take courses that focus on applying math to scientific problems. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with scientific notation and units of measurement is essential for understanding and using math in science.

5. Is it necessary to have advanced math skills to be a scientist?

While having advanced math skills can certainly be beneficial, it is not always a requirement to be a scientist. Many scientific fields, such as biology or environmental science, may not heavily rely on complex math concepts. However, having a basic understanding of math and its applications in science is necessary for any scientific career.