Calculating friction loss (fluid dynamics)?

In summary: If there are two nozzles, the flow in each will be 1/2 of what it would be for one nozzle. If there are three nozzles, the flow in each will be 1/3 of what it would be for one nozzle, etc.In summary, the flow rate out of each nozzle will be approximately the same if the spray-bar has a large diameter and the nozzles are in parallel. The friction loss can be found by calculating the friction loss for one nozzle, as they are all in parallel and have the same friction loss.
preet
Hey all...

My scenario is as follows: I have a pump that provides a certain rate of flow in my system. The pump is connected to a spraybar, a pipe with holes drilled through at evenly spaced intervals. Each of these holes is fitted with a 90 degree nozzle (effectively a miniature 90 degree elbow). Assume that I measure the flow rate by collecting the water discharged by the nozzles into a fixed volume and timing it. Let's say I arrive at a flow of "X" GPM.

a) Is the flow from each nozzle pretty much the same (ie, X/#nozzles GPM)? (assume that the spraybar is connected from both ends and not only from one side, so pressure isn't lost as the water travels along the spraybar)

b) How do I go about finding the combined friction loss from the nozzles? Do I find the friction loss of each nozzle and add them up? Or do I just use the friction loss at one nozzle (I've heard about doing this, but I want to know why).

The friction loss from the nozzle depends on the GPM, so if I use "X" as my GPM, with one nozzle, would the friction loss be equivalent If I used "X/#nozzles" as my GPM and then multiplied the friction loss I obtain by the # of nozzles? Or is everything I'm saying totally wrong?

Would appreciate any input...

Thanks,
Preet

Physics news on Phys.org
preet said:
Hey all...

My scenario is as follows: I have a pump that provides a certain rate of flow in my system. The pump is connected to a spraybar, a pipe with holes drilled through at evenly spaced intervals. Each of these holes is fitted with a 90 degree nozzle (effectively a miniature 90 degree elbow). Assume that I measure the flow rate by collecting the water discharged by the nozzles into a fixed volume and timing it. Let's say I arrive at a flow of "X" GPM.

a) Is the flow from each nozzle pretty much the same (ie, X/#nozzles GPM)? (assume that the spraybar is connected from both ends and not only from one side, so pressure isn't lost as the water travels along the spraybar)
If the spray-bar has a large diameter, the frictional pressure loss in the spray bar will be negligible, and the flow rate out the nozzles will be approximately uniform.
b) How do I go about finding the combined friction loss from the nozzles? Do I find the friction loss of each nozzle and add them up? Or do I just use the friction loss at one nozzle (I've heard about doing this, but I want to know why).
The nozzles are in parallel, so all you need to do is find the friction loss for one nozzle (assuming uniform flow).
The friction loss from the nozzle depends on the GPM, so if I use "X" as my GPM, with one nozzle, would the friction loss be equivalent If I used "X/#nozzles" as my GPM and then multiplied the friction loss I obtain by the # of nozzles? Or is everything I'm saying totally wrong?
No. As I said, the nozzles are in parallel, so the all have the same friction loss (pressure drop).

What is friction loss in fluid dynamics?

Friction loss in fluid dynamics is the loss of energy due to the resistance of fluid flow against a surface or through a pipe. It is caused by the interaction between the fluid and the surface, resulting in a decrease in the fluid's velocity and pressure.

How is friction loss calculated?

Friction loss is calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid's velocity, pipe diameter, and roughness of the surface. The equation is FL = (f * L * (V^2/2g))/D, where FL is friction loss, f is the friction factor, L is the length of the pipe, V is the fluid velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and D is the pipe diameter.

What is the significance of friction loss in fluid dynamics?

Friction loss is an important factor to consider in fluid dynamics as it can affect the efficiency and performance of a system. It can cause a decrease in flow rate, an increase in pressure drop, and an increase in energy consumption. Therefore, understanding and calculating friction loss is crucial in designing and operating fluid systems.

What are some factors that can affect friction loss?

The factors that can affect friction loss include the fluid's viscosity, density, velocity, and temperature, as well as the pipe's diameter, length, and roughness. Other factors such as changes in elevation and bends in the pipe can also contribute to friction loss.

How can friction loss be minimized?

Friction loss can be minimized by using pipes with smoother surfaces, reducing the length of the pipe, and increasing the pipe diameter. Additionally, choosing the right fluid and optimizing the fluid's velocity can also help reduce friction loss. Regular maintenance and cleaning of pipes can also prevent an increase in friction loss over time.