Enable Right-Click on Windows 2000 | Win2000 Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter SynapticSelf
  • Start date
In summary, my brother disabled my ability to right click on my computer, but I was able to access the registry and disable the shutdown button.
SynapticSelf
Okay...

My brother and I work together, and our machines have Windows 2000 installed. When we get bored, we screw with each other's computers...little things to annoy each other. Well this time he got me pretty good...he disabled my ability to right click.

He has an admin account, but I don't. I assumed that he just used the NoViewContextMenu Key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. But I looked, and no key exists (which is like null). I've resorted to the old logon.scr hack to enter the "unprotected shell", and gave myself full access to the registry. I read that I can't reset the Admin password with Net Use if using NTFS... Question 1: How exactly does NTFS get around those old security issues? Why was FAT so unsecure?

Question 2: is there some other way to disable my right-click? This is asanine. It's like stealing someone's shoe. I tried to get a hint, but he just smiles and walks away. Argh!

Computer science news on Phys.org
get yourself an admin account? You can probably crack the password to the main account unless he has a bios password... at which point you'd need to start messing with the hardware.

Just disable the left button till he tells you how to enable the right click.

Hmm.. On second thought.. That might not be too smart.. lol

Is auto-hotkey running? Maybe he's using some kind of program to catch the click and then cancel it out. Without an admin account, I'm not sure what you can do with it.

There are ways to crack admin accounts in xp though.. :) (Just don't delete the password! Any encrypted files he has will be permanently unreadable!)

Actually.. Here's an idea..

Download a WinXP password cracker (a boot cd), then after you crack the password, log into the admin account (and/or his account), change the password(s). Tell him to re-enable right click or you'll leave it like this.

If he cracks the password, then crack it again, rename "shutdown.exe" (located in the c:\windows\system32 folder) to "shutdown2.exe". Then put the following into his registry as a startup item:
c:\windows\system32\shutdown2.exe -s -f -c "enable right click or die!" -
t 10

This will shut his computer down in 10 seconds everytime he logs in and he won't be able to type "shutdown -a" to cancel the shutdown because you renamed the executable.. :) (and if you want to be nice, rename shutdown2.exe back to shutdown.exe)

Once he re-enables the right click, log into windows with his username, type "shutdown2 -a" to cancel the shutdown, and delete the startup entry. :)

Ha! That's a great suggestion BoredNL! I don't think I'll pull it at work, because to be honest with you I don't really want to give up on this challenge. How else will I learn and all that jazz. I'll definitely play around with your trick though - I got a kick out of that. Maybe I'll pull it on him later...

The following has to be one line btw. The forum wrapped the line because it was too long.
c:\windows\system32\shutdown2.exe -s -f -c "enable right click or die!" -t 10

1. How do I enable right-click on Windows 2000?

To enable right-click on Windows 2000, you can follow these steps:

• 1. Go to the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
  • 2. Double-click on "Mouse" to open the Mouse Properties.
  • 3. Under the "Buttons" tab, check the box next to "Switch primary and secondary buttons."
  • 4. Click "Apply" and then "OK."

2. Why can't I right-click on my Windows 2000 desktop?

If you are unable to right-click on your Windows 2000 desktop, it could be due to a setting in your Mouse Properties. To fix this, follow these steps:

• 3. Under the "Buttons" tab, make sure the box next to "Switch primary and secondary buttons" is unchecked.

3. How can I access the right-click menu without a mouse?

If you do not have a mouse or are unable to use it, you can still access the right-click menu on Windows 2000 by pressing the "Menu" key on your keyboard. This key is usually located between the "Alt" and "Ctrl" keys on the right side of your keyboard.

4. Is there a way to customize the options in the right-click menu on Windows 2000?

Yes, you can customize the options in the right-click menu on Windows 2000 by using third-party software or by manually editing the registry. However, it is important to note that editing the registry can be risky and should only be done by advanced users.

5. Can I disable the right-click function on Windows 2000?

Yes, you can disable the right-click function on Windows 2000 by following these steps:

• 3. Under the "Buttons" tab, check the box next to "Switch primary and secondary buttons."

This will effectively disable the right-click function on your mouse. To re-enable it, simply uncheck the box next to "Switch primary and secondary buttons" in your Mouse Properties.