Analysis - What are they doing in this proof ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the theorem "A metric space M is compact iff it is complete and totally bounded". The proof involves using the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem and constructing a descending sequence of balls to find a Cauchy subsequence that converges. The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of subscripts in the proof and suggests working out the proof independently.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Analysis - What are they doing in this proof ?!?

Homework Statement

The thm is "A metric space M is compact iff it is complete and totally bounded".

We have Bolzano-Weierstrass to work with (compact iff sequentially compact).

The "==>" part is direct.

For "<==", they say,

"Let's show that M is sequentially compact. Let {y_k} be a sequence in M and we can assume without loss of generality that all the y_k are distinct."

This is where it gets weird. They show how to construct a Cauchy subsequence that converge but I have no idea what they're doing. They say,

"Given an integer N, cover M with finitely many 1/N-balls, [itex]B_{1/N}(x_{L_1}), ..., B_{1/N}(x_{L_N})[/itex]. An infinite number of the y_k lie in one of these balls. Start with N=1. Write [itex]M=B_{1}(x_{L_1})\cup ...\cup B_{1}(x_{L_N})[/itex], and so we can select a subsequence of {y_k} lying entirely in one of these balls. Repeat for N=2, getting a further subsequence lying in a fixed ball of radius 1/2, and so on. Now choose the "diagonal" subsequence, the first member from the first sequence, the second from the second , ans so on. This sequence is Cauchy and since M is complete, it converge."

Firstly what is up with the L's ? Anyway, my best shot at understanding what he's doing is that he chooses an integer N. Because M is totally bounded, there are finitely many points [itex]\{x_{1},...,x_{L_N}\}[/itex] such that [itex]M=B_{1/N}(x_{1})\cup ...\cup B_{1/N}(x_{L_N})[/itex]. There must be at least one x_j such that [itex]B_{1/N}(x_{j})[/itex] contains infinitely many points. Now, for all n<N, [itex]B_{1/N}(x_{j})\subset B_{1/n}(x_{j})[/itex], so there are also infinitely many points is all those balls. For each n, define a subsequence as just those points in [itex]B_{1/n}(x_{j})[/itex].

But...as indicated in the last bit, the convergeant subsequence we're going to form will consists of the first point of the sequence "spawned" by n=1, the second point will be the second from the sequence spawned by n=2, etc... the Nth will be the Nth term of the sequence spawned by n=N. But that's as far as we go. Nothing tells us that there is even a single point in [itex]B_{1/N+1}(x_{j})[/itex], so our algorithm stops there it seems.

I probably misunderstood the method though, but I've investigated other interpretations and nothing makes sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like the subscripts being used. Did you copy them properly? As it stands, I'm understanding that for each N we can cover M with N balls of radius 1/N, which isn't true. There's some inconsistency too, because what you wrote down for N=1 wouldn't make sense anymore.

The part where I quoted the text is exactly as it appears in my book.

I don't like the L_1 either... and that's why I changed it to just "1" in my "interpretation" of the proof (last 3 paragraphs).

You could always work the proof out yourself. :smile:

The main idea is simply to construct a descending sequence of balls, each of which contains infinitely many terms of your given sequence.

I'm done trying to demystify what they wrote but at least I know how to prove it. It's essentially the same idea as in the proof in R that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. You begin by splitting the bounded area in two, and take a point in one of the halves that hold infinitely many points. Then split that half in two again and select another point in one of the halves with infinitely many points, etc. The resulting subsequence is Cauchy.

1. What is the purpose of analysis in a proof?

Analysis is a crucial step in a proof as it involves breaking down a problem or argument into smaller, more manageable parts. It allows for a systematic approach to solving a problem and provides a logical sequence of steps to reach a conclusion.

2. What techniques are used in analysis?

There are several techniques used in analysis, depending on the specific problem or proof. Some common techniques include mathematical induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Other techniques may involve using specific theorems or formulas to manipulate equations and simplify the problem.

3. How does analysis differ from other steps in a proof?

Analysis is distinct from other steps in a proof as it involves breaking down a problem and understanding its underlying structure. It may require identifying patterns, making connections, or applying logical reasoning to reach a solution. Other steps, such as stating assumptions or providing evidence, support the analysis and help to build a strong argument.

4. Can analysis be used in non-mathematical proofs?

Yes, analysis can be used in various types of proofs, not just in mathematics. In general, analysis involves breaking down a problem to better understand its components and reach a conclusion. This can be applied to any type of argument or proof, including scientific, philosophical, and literary proofs.

5. How do I improve my skills in analysis?

Improving analysis skills takes practice and patience. It involves breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, recognizing patterns and connections, and using logical reasoning to reach a conclusion. One way to improve is by practicing with different types of problems and seeking feedback from others. Additionally, reading and studying proofs from experts can help to develop a better understanding of analysis techniques and how to apply them effectively.