Electric Fields in Parallel Plates

In summary, when the charge on each plate of a parallel plate capacitor increases by a factor of 3, the electric field also increases by a factor of 3. This is because the distance between plates and the capacitance remain constant, causing the voltage and electric field to increase proportionally to the charge.
salman213
1. The magnitude of the electric field between two plates of a parallel plate capicitor is 4.7 x 10^4 N/C, if the charge on each plate increases by a a factor of 3, what happens to the electric field?

increase by a factor of 3 or 9?
decrease by a factor of 3 or 9?
not effected?

2. Electric field for plates = V/d

3. Thate the only equation i know and we did not learn any equation that reprensets charges on each plate so I am totally confused about how to relate the question...

maybe logically?
Umm since the charge on each plate increases by 3 the electric field will get stronger by the same factor of 3?
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right track, but you have to SHOW it. Hint: what's the definition of capacitance?

so i have to use formulas?

is therer a formula for te charge on a plate..? cause i only know

E = v/d and this ha snothing to do with increasing or decreasing distance or voltage, it has to do with charges on the plate,... :s

from what i found in my notes
i also have this equation

Ee = qV

but that q represents the charge on an electron between the two plates

so that's why i was thinking its more of a logical question that i don't get

rather than a mathematical proof .. but maybe it is i don't know...any advice?

ok i found Q= CV on the net

now i guess that means since E = V/d if E is increased then so does V and in turn so does Q ? cause its not being divided ... therefore it increases by a factor of 3 as well?

Yeah basically. The distance between plates doesn't change, therefore the capacitance doesn't, and tripling the charge means tripling the voltage means tripling the electric field.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around an electrically charged object in which other charged objects experience a force. The strength and direction of the electric field determine the force that a charged object will experience.

How are electric fields created in parallel plates?

Electric fields in parallel plates are created by applying a potential difference (voltage) across the plates. This causes a separation of charges, with positive charges accumulating on one plate and negative charges accumulating on the other. The resulting electric field is uniform and directed from the positive plate to the negative plate.

What is the relationship between the magnitude of the electric field and the distance between parallel plates?

The magnitude of the electric field between parallel plates is directly proportional to the potential difference (voltage) applied across the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

How does the electric field change if the parallel plates are not perfectly parallel?

If the parallel plates are not perfectly parallel, the electric field will not be uniform between the plates. The field strength will be greater near the edges of the plates and weaker towards the center. This can lead to a non-uniform force on charged particles between the plates.

What is the significance of electric fields in parallel plates?

Electric fields in parallel plates have many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as capacitors and in particle accelerators. They also help us understand the behavior of charged particles and the concept of electric potential energy.