Modern Physics Class: Preparation for Physics Major

In summary, this course is only useful if you are struggling with math or need a "prep" course for a future physics major. It is not required for the major and there are other, more challenging, courses available.
proton
I'll be transferring to a 4-yr university for this fall and the modern physics class I'm considering taking will cover thermodynamics, quantum mech, and modern physics. But at my community college I already took 3 semesters of calc-based physics, including modern physics.
This class will only use math up to partial derivatives. No linear algebra, mulitple integrals, stokes and divergence thm. The textbook used by the class is Concepts of Modern Physics by Beiser. The class is only required as a PREPARATION for the major in physics, therefore it isn't require for the major(it is lower-division). Its also not a prereq for ANY of the upper-div classes.

I'm only considering taking it because I figure it should be an easy A, a gpa booster, since I took modern physics at my community college. But my staff advisors still recommend I take it. Should I take this course? or will it be a waste of time? I can take an upper-div math class instead

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook did you use at the community college, and how much time did you actually spend on modern physics? A whole semester, or just part of a semester?

How much of Beiser does the university's course cover? Can you get hold of a syllabus for the course so you can compare the topics with what you've had already?

Beiser is a standard, decent text and a modern course with it would help. Additionally, if this is your first physics course at the university you just transferred to, it might be helpful to take a course which is slightly easier as a way of getting to know the department.

Besides, another round of modern physics isn't going to hurt you. My opinion, take the course. And as for that upper division math course, take it also.

at my community college, we used halliday, resnick, and krane. it was a whole semester

I don't know how my professor will taech the modern physics class at my new school. I tried emailing him, but no response so far

I just skimmed through the beiser text. The content almost looks EXACTLY the same as what I already learned in my previous modern physics class. There's BARELY (an is 3 pages worth) any math beyond single-variable calculus

so my only incentive to take the course is for the easy grade, becuase I'll probably not learn anything new. unless the professor teaches differently from the book and uses higher-level mathematics

so is this course worth taking for the easy grade alone?

1. What topics are typically covered in a modern physics class?

A modern physics class typically covers topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic and nuclear physics, and particle physics. These topics build upon the concepts learned in introductory physics classes and provide a more in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles of physics.

2. How can I prepare for a modern physics class?

To prepare for a modern physics class, it is important to have a strong foundation in introductory physics, including a solid understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. It may also be helpful to review basic algebra, trigonometry, and calculus concepts. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the basic principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics can give you a head start in the class.

3. What skills are necessary for success in a modern physics class?

Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for success in a modern physics class. It is important to be able to analyze complex problems and apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations. Additionally, having a strong grasp of mathematical concepts and the ability to work with abstract concepts is crucial.

4. Do I need to have previous experience with physics to take a modern physics class?

While it is recommended to have a basic understanding of physics concepts before taking a modern physics class, it is not a requirement. However, having a strong foundation in introductory physics can make the material easier to grasp and can lead to greater success in the class.

5. What can I do to make the most out of a modern physics class?

To make the most out of a modern physics class, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions. Take thorough notes and review them regularly. Practice solving problems and seek help from your professor or classmates if you are struggling. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can greatly benefit your understanding and retention of the material.