Unraveling Classical Music in Modern Media

In summary, classical music is frequently used in commercials, tv series, movies, etc. Can we sort out what is what?
Andre
Classical music is frequently used in commercials, tv series, movies, etc. Can we sort out what is what?

Take for instance the tune of the lone ranger..

Familiar? Final part of the Ouverture Wilhelm Tell.

The full version in an excellent setting

(wait till 2:30 min)

Another one: Onedin Line.

What is the original music? That's easy

the Adagio from Spartacus composed by Aram Khachaturián

Also classical themes are often 'borrowed' in modern music. For instance:

If I had words

What is that tune from? Name that music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Andre said:
Also classical themes are often 'borrowed' in modern music. For instance:

If I had words

What is that tune from? Name that music.

Looks like someone already hinted at the composer in the comments. Maybe it's from the 3rd symphony? I think I hear an organ in the background. :)

Symphony No. 3 'Organ', 4th Movement"
Music by Camille Saint-Saëns

http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/album/camille-saint-saens-saint-saens-symphony-no-3-organ--100150907,page1.htm#0

Disney and Looney Tunes have been great with this! Fantasia, The Rabbit of Seville, Rabbit Rhapsody, hard to choose a favourite from, but here’s someone else’s :smile: interpretation of Elma Fudd’s ‘Kill the Wabbit’, (or also in Apocalypse Now)

I’ve thought of some more, (some that have nothing to do with Disney or Looney Tunes) and will turn them into questions, even though it is not my turn, as I’ve been beaten by two people to answer Andre’s questions, but it may make it more interesting…

1. Can anyone name the 3 pieces reworked into Hamlet the opera on Gilligan’s Island?

One of these, alternatively, ‘borrowed’ by Goofy and Clarabelle Cow-

2. Or, which famous work did a part of the first movement of Mozart’s piano concerto no. 25, seem to inspire?

In turn, this work was borrowed by many, e.g. Tchaikovsky, Elgar, Schumann, the Beatles, and Offenbach, leading to question 3…

3. Can anyone name the original name for another piece by Offenbach, which was bought by the U.S. Marines?

fi said:
1. Can anyone name the 3 pieces reworked into Hamlet the opera on Gilligan’s Island?

It's Habanera first and the Toreador song at the last, so I am guessing the middle one is another aria from Carmen. I'm not very familiar with opera.

Oh, and the last two videos (Mozart and Offenbach) seem to be the same.

neutrino said:
It's Habanera first and the Toreador song at the last, so I am guessing the middle one is another aria from Carmen. I'm not very familiar with opera.

Oh, and the last two videos (Mozart and Offenbach) seem to be the same.

Yes, Habanera and the Toreador song, but the middle one isn't from Carmen, nor even Bizet.:smile:
Thanks, I'll edit my attempt with the US Marine's Hymn!
edit: fixed

Last edited:
#3 Is a march from the opera "Genevieve of Brabant"

For beginners, where is the European anthem from?

That's an easy one, especially if you've watched Die Hard about half a million times! :biggrin:

Right, the lyrics are from Friedrich Schiller and good old Ludwig von Beethoven did the tune, also known as the finale of the 9th symphony

Now definitely, the most popular of all:

Big ad

Don't you hear it every day somewhere? But what is it?

Andre said:
#3 Is a march from the opera "Genevieve of Brabant"

Hmmm, sort of... The melody for the US Marines' Hymn was from Offenbach's Genevieve de Brabant, but it wasn't so much of a march but a silly policemen's duet, these are some of the lyrics-

We're public guardians bold yet wary
And of ourselves we take good care
To risk our precious lives we're chary
When danger threatens we're not there
But when we see a helpless woman
Or little boys who do no harm…
We run them in, we run them in
We run them in, we run them in
To show them we're the beaux gendarmes

I've posted that on another thread here somewhere, too! Love the gorilla!

Andre said:

Big ad

Oh boy! :rolleyes: O Ubiquitousana!

neutrino said:
Sticking with Europe, what about UEFA's anthem?

great idea!

The answer to this- the work that was seemingly inspired by Mozart’s Piano Concerto no. 21- is pretty European too. :smile:

More clues-

Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture is riddled with fragments of it, particularly during the (first) cannons (as well as the czarist Russian national anthem) -

Or the Beatles used a fragment in ‘Love is All You Need’.

fi said:
The answer to this- the work that was seemingly inspired by Mozart’s Piano Concerto no. 21- is pretty European too. :smile:

More clues-

Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture is riddled with fragments of it, particularly during the (first) cannons (as well as the czarist Russian national anthem) -

I guessed as much, but it lasted for a short duration that I thought it wouldn't be the answer.

Andre said:
Voilà

Allons enfants de la patrie

French anthem

neutrino said:
I guessed as much, but it lasted for a short duration that I thought it wouldn't be the answer.

Bravo both!
Yes, La Marseillaise.
Sorry Neutrino, it was all I could find, but I also thought it should be a bit tricky considering the clever people here, so well done. I can multi-quote now, thanks!
(BTW, can't edit it now but accidentally wrote concerto no. 21 instead of 25, the second time I wrote it. The first time I wrote it correctly)

Last edited:
The omnipresent is still open, it seems,

This belongs definitely in this thread,

enjoy, but who wrote that tune and what is it?

Andre said:

Why, that's based on one of the best "slow movements" in the symphonic repertoire. >LvB.Marcia Funebre. <

If not the tune, I think the title will give this away...

neutrino said:
Why, that's based on one of the best "slow movements" in the symphonic repertoire. >LvB.Marcia Funebre. <

Almost >LvB. Marcia Funebre is #3, 2th movement, this is #7 2 movement snip: youtube.com/watch?v=LdfNTo_O-3k <

Andre said:
Almost

So close, yet so far.

neutrino said:
If not the tune, I think the title will give this away...

Yes the tune is less obvious.

??

BTW the all-pervading tune is:

O Fortuna,
velut luna,
statu variabilis,
semper crescis,
aut decrescis,
vita detestabilis,
nunc obdurat,
et tunc curat,
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem...etc

I can't access youtube where I am right now, but I recall that O Fortuna (from Orff's Carmina Burana) was used in a commercial for Old Spice (one that aired in India over a decade ago).

Gokul43201 said:
O Fortuna (from Orff's Carmina Burana) was used in a commercial for Old Spice (one that aired in India over a decade ago).
Yes, I remember that very well. Most certainly the first time I heard that work. Do you know the music that is used for the Titan watches commercials? It's being used even today, but in various guises. I'm not able to find a version at YouTube from the late 80's or 90's.

Found the Old Spice commercial:

:biggrin:

I can't recall the Titan tune...but it might come to me later.

Andre said:

I'm finding it difficult keeping track, has neutrino's UEFA question been answered yet, btw, or this one? I think I've once mentioned this movement somewhere here before, it is wonderful.

This might be interesting-
Firstly, from the movie, Amadeus

Then performed in The Marriage of Figaro

Then, I've heard Mika based the song Grace Kelly on the Marriage of Figaro, and I think it must be based on this same piece, but happy to be corrected!

On another note, Pachelbel's rant

fi said:
I think I've once mentioned this movement somewhere here before, it is wonderful.
I owned this on CD (but lost it during a move, I think :frown:). It is possibly the best recording of Beethoven I've heard.

fi said:
This might be interesting-
Firstly, from the movie, Amadeus

Then performed in The Marriage of Figaro

Then, I've heard Mika based the song Grace Kelly on the Marriage of Figaro, and I think it must be based on this same piece, but happy to be corrected!

Thanks Fi, that's great stuff, although it hard to recognise Figaro in Grace Kelly. The tune seems rather modified.

On another note, Pachelbel's rant

Excellent, that's a real gem. Now listen to the orginal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpPk8qk3uQ"

Some of the sequels:

Rain and tears
Spicks and specks

especially recommended:
Someday we will all be together

There are plenty more.

Gokul43201 said:
I can't recall the Titan tune...but it might come to me later.

Could not find the ad, but the tune is available in this video. (3:40)

And yeah, the UEFA anthem is still unanswered.

Okay the UEFA anthem seems to be:

The tread is becoming a bit chaotic indeed. I'll collect all links and ask Evo (to whom this thread is dedicated, for cheering up) to insert them in the opening post

Edit Meanwhile, name this music: lover's Barcarole