Mesh Analysis: Solve I, Vab, Vac, Vbd, Vcd

In summary: Vcd = V3 - V4 or Vc - Vd = I3 * 3 ohms - I2 * 2 ohms = (I3 - I2) * 3 ohms.Vbd = V2 - V3 or Vb - Vd = I2 * 2 ohms - I3 * 3 ohms = (I2 - I3) * 2 ohms.Vac = V2 - V1 or Vc - Va = I2 * 2 ohms - I1 * 1 ohms = (I2 - I1) * 2 ohms.In summary, using the mesh analysis method, one can solve for the three unknown currents I1
Kobayashi

Homework Statement

For the following circuit determine:
I, Vab, Vac, Vbd, Vcd

See attachment for circuit diagram.

Homework Equations

Mesh Analysis method

The Attempt at a Solution

Using mesh analysis:

-7V + I1 - I2 + 6V + 2I1 -2I3
= 3I1 - I2 -2I3 ------------------mesh 1

2I2 + 3I2 -3I3 + I2 - I1
= -I1 + 6I2 -3I3 -----------------mesh2

I3 + 2I3 -2I1 -6 + 3I3 - 3I2
= -2I1 - 3I2 + 6I3 -6 -------------mesh 3

Have I done this correctly? How do you get I from this and the voltages?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Circuit Diagram 2.jpg
    Circuit Diagram 2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
-7V + I1 - I2 + 6V + 2I1 -2I3
= 3I1 - I2 -2I3 ------------------mesh 1
The right hand side is missing the voltage. The sum of the voltages around each loop = 0.

The polarity convention is reversed. I would have done it:

7V - I1 + I2 - 6V - 2I1 + 2I3 = 0, for mesh 1.

So, 7V - 3I1 + I2 + 2I3 = 0, and likewise with the others. One then has 3 equations and 3 unkowns (I1, I2, I3), for which one can solve. Simply add the equations together and eliminate all but one current so that currents are found in terms of voltage and resistance.

Then Vab is just the voltage drop across the resistor (1 ohm) or Va - (I1-I2) 1 ohm = Vb or Va - Vb = (I1 - I2) * 1 ohm.

I would say that your attempt at using mesh analysis looks correct. To find the values for I, Vab, Vac, Vbd, and Vcd, you can use the equations you have written and solve for each variable. For example, to find I, you can set up a system of equations using the equations for mesh 1, 2, and 3 and solve for I. Similarly, you can solve for Vab, Vac, Vbd, and Vcd by using the equations and known values in the circuit. Remember to use the correct signs for each variable (e.g. positive for clockwise currents and negative for counterclockwise currents) and always check your answers to make sure they make sense in the context of the circuit. Good luck with your homework!

1. How is Mesh Analysis used to solve for current and voltage in a circuit?

Mesh Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the currents and voltages in a circuit. It involves dividing the circuit into smaller loops or meshes and applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Ohm's Law to each loop to solve for the unknown values.

2. What is the difference between Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis?

Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis are two methods used to analyze circuits. The main difference is that Mesh Analysis focuses on the current flowing through a circuit, while Nodal Analysis focuses on the voltage at different points in a circuit.

3. How do you set up equations for Mesh Analysis?

To set up equations for Mesh Analysis, you need to identify the meshes in the circuit and assign a current variable for each mesh. Then, apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each mesh and solve the resulting equations simultaneously to determine the unknown currents.

4. What are the limitations of Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis can only be applied to circuits that have a specific structure, known as a planar circuit. This means that the circuit can be drawn on a flat surface without any crossing lines. It also assumes that all circuit elements are linear, meaning that their behavior can be described by Ohm's Law.

5. Can Mesh Analysis be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Mesh Analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources. The dependent sources can be included in the mesh equations as additional variables. However, the dependent source variable can only be solved for after solving for the unknown mesh currents.