Calculating Force Needed to Push Fluid into a Vein at 18 mm Hg Pressure

In summary, to calculate the force needed to push fluid into a vein with a gauge pressure of 18 mm Hg, you will need to use the density of mercury and convert it to meters. This will give you a value of 1.3534e-4 for the density. Then, convert the atmospheric pressure of mercury to Pascals, which is 133 n/m2. Next, use the equation F1 = P1/A1, where A1 is the diameter of the vein. Plug in the values for density and pressure, and solve for the force needed. However, the diameter of the vein is still unclear, so further assistance may be needed.
Paulbird20
What force on the plunger would be needed to push fluid into a vein where the gauge pressure is 18 mm Hg? Answer for the instant just before the fluid starts to move.

I know i need the density of mercury (in Meters) and that equals = 13.534e-3 / 100 which is

1.3534e-4 for the density

Next i did the conversion of the atm pressure of mercury and got 133 n / m2. (i think that's correct)

ok so i know i need to use pascals and i developed my equations i was given and ended with

F1 = P1/ A1

Which is

Density mercury * atm pressure mercury * 9.8 / pie * D^2

I think that is the correct equation and when i use it i get the wrong answer.

What I am really stuck with is what i use as the diameter.

Any help would be great if i messed up any conversions and what not. TY

Physics news on Phys.org
bumb

bumb

bump^3

anyone?

last attempt..

sad panda

What is fluid in a hypodermic needle?

Fluid in a hypodermic needle refers to any liquid or solution that is contained within the needle and is intended to be injected into a patient's body. This can include medications, vaccines, or other substances.

How does the fluid get into the hypodermic needle?

The fluid is typically drawn into the hypodermic needle through a process called aspiration. This involves pulling back on the plunger of the syringe to create negative pressure, which then draws the fluid into the needle from a vial or ampule.

What types of fluids can be contained in a hypodermic needle?

Hypodermic needles can contain a wide range of fluids, including medications, vaccines, anesthetics, blood products, and contrast agents for medical imaging. The specific type of fluid will depend on the intended use of the needle.

Can the fluid inside a hypodermic needle be harmful?

In most cases, the fluid inside a hypodermic needle is carefully selected and measured by a healthcare professional to be safe for the intended use. However, if the fluid is contaminated or used incorrectly, it can potentially cause harm to the patient. It is important to always follow proper handling and disposal protocols for hypodermic needles.

How long can fluid remain in a hypodermic needle?

The length of time that fluid can remain in a hypodermic needle will vary depending on the type of fluid, the storage conditions, and the intended use. In general, it is recommended to use the fluid within a few hours after it has been drawn into the needle to minimize the risk of contamination or degradation. Discard any needles that have been used or have been open for an extended period of time.