Top 10 unis in the Uk for physics?

• Thread starter magicuniverse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Uk
In summary: Will you enjoy the course?6, Will you get a job?7, Will you get a good degree?In summary, the top 10 physics schools in the UK are: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, QMW, Manchester, Cool, Bristol, Warwick, and York.
magicuniverse
Ok I know this will be diffrrent for many different people but what in "your" (if you have a clue what you are talking about) are the top 10 schools for physics in the UK?

P.S. by this i am referring to prestige and not on their "value added" rubbish which league tables take into account!

Physics news on Phys.org
With no evidence to back it up and likely to cause trouble but:
Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, QMW,Manchester,

Cool thanks. But that's only 6! Plus wouldn't you put Oxford in the top 10? Also what is QMW? And thinking about it doesn't york deserve a place?

Last edited:
QMW is queen mary college London. Used to be called QMC in my day then merged with/absorbed a lot of other colleges - probably called QMWERTYUIOP now .
Never been to the physics dept at York - the university is nice though.

I thought they were shutting QMW down.

I'll find you a list...

e2a: afaic, quality comes from research -- you'll get a good idea from the last research scores (even if they are 6 years old now):

http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/rae_dynamic.cfm?myURL=http://195.194.167.103/Results/byuoa/uoa19.htm

(5*A best, then 5A, 5B... etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, it depends on the type of Physics you want to do... but then I would never choose a university on prestige alone. I would pick it on 'does it feel right and would I enjoy it there' ;)

iv done Physics at Uk universities and have had interview at these top universties..

1. OXFORD
2. IMPERIAL
3. UCL
4. CAMBBRIDGE (only therotical physics..more like maths)
5. BRISTOL
6. WARWICK
7. YORK

QMW is a crap uni...u don't need 10...these are suffcient..if u want 10 ..go to the league tables analyze them yourself..and go to each of the indivudual uni...its not only about the course end of the day...u have to see if you would like the environment..would you like more open space like BRUNEL, BRISTOL..oxford
or u want it cramped like this city centre of London,...like Kings etc..its upto i can only give my advice..

For an undergrad the RAE rankings or citation scores don't really mean a lot.
What matters -
1, Is the course about to be closed, how many staff/students do they have ?
2, Will a future employer have heard of the Uni?
3, Is it somewhere you want to live - centre of london or a leafy campus?
4, Where will you live, how expensive, will you ever meet anyone not on your course?

1. What are the top 10 universities in the UK for studying physics?

According to the latest rankings by QS World University Rankings, the top 10 universities in the UK for physics are:

• University of Cambridge
  • University of Oxford
  • Imperial College London
  • University of Edinburgh
  • University of Manchester
  • University College London (UCL)
  • University of Warwick
  • University of Bristol
  • University of Glasgow
  • University of Southampton

2. What criteria are used to determine the top 10 universities for physics in the UK?

The criteria used to determine the top universities for physics in the UK include academic reputation, employer reputation, research citations, and the faculty to student ratio. Other factors such as international diversity and student satisfaction may also be taken into consideration.

3. Are these rankings subject to change?

Yes, university rankings are subject to change as they are based on various factors that can change over time. It is important to regularly check for updated rankings and consider other factors such as program offerings and research opportunities when making decisions about which university to attend.

4. Are there any other reputable sources for university rankings in the UK?

Yes, Times Higher Education and The Guardian also provide rankings for universities in the UK. However, it is important to note that different sources may use different criteria and methodologies, so it is best to consult multiple sources for a well-rounded understanding of university rankings.

5. Is it necessary to attend a top ranked university to excel in the field of physics?

No, attending a top ranked university is not a guarantee of success in the field of physics. While a reputable university may provide access to top-notch resources and research opportunities, ultimately success in this field relies heavily on an individual's dedication, hard work, and passion for the subject.