How Does Adding Electrons Affect the Net Charge of a Metal Sphere?

• Thread starter sheri1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Net
In summary, to find the net charge of a metal sphere after 9.00 * 10^13 electrons have been placed on it, we can use the equation q = Ne where q is the charge, N is the number of electrons, and e is the charge of a single electron. The net charge will be the initial positive charge of the sphere plus the negative charge of the electrons that have been added.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

A metal sphere has a charge of +8.0 µC. What is the net charge after 9.00 *10^13 electrons have been placed on it?

Homework Equations

q=Ne where q is the charge, N is the number of electrons, and e is given as 1.6*10^-19

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the problem gives us a charge, q, and the N, number of electrons, so I figure somehow I need to use this equation. I am not sure where to start though, could someone get me started? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons have a negative charge. That charge will be given by the product of the number of electrons and the charge of the electrons. Since the sphere starts with a positive charge the net charge will be the initial positive charge plus whatever charge all the electrons have. Be careful with signs here.

I'm still having trouble...what number needs to be negative?

Electrons have a negative charge.

What is net charge?

Net charge is the overall electric charge of an object or system. It is a measure of the total amount of positive and negative charges present.

How is net charge calculated?

Net charge is calculated by finding the difference between the total number of protons (positive charges) and the total number of electrons (negative charges) in an object or system. The result can be either positive (more protons than electrons) or negative (more electrons than protons).

Why is finding net charge important in science?

Finding net charge is important because it helps us understand the behavior of matter and the interactions between particles. It is a crucial concept in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

What is the unit of net charge?

The unit of net charge is the coulomb (C), which is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons. It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI).

Can an object have a net charge of zero?

Yes, an object can have a net charge of zero if it contains equal numbers of positive and negative charges. This is known as being electrically neutral. Examples of electrically neutral objects include most everyday objects like tables, chairs, and humans.