Participating in the Putnam competition within 2 year

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's plan to participate in the Putnam competition within two years and their current preparation. They plan to take various math courses and do independent study in number theory, analysis, and abstract algebra. They ask for suggestions on how to prepare for the Putnam competition, and the response suggests practicing the Putnam and looking for past tests online. It is also recommended to find a math professor to work with, as some schools may offer elective seminars on Putnam problems.
sutupidmath
Well, i am thinking of participating in the Putnam competition within 2 years, as i am only a freshman now and this is my first semester. I am planning to first try to create a quite stiff background in math before i even try Putnam. I am planning to first take these courses before i do that: Calculus I, II, III, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations, Number Theory, Discrete Math, and also try to do some indepedent study in number theory and analysis and maybe in abstract algebra as well. What else would you suggest to do in order for one to be able to do something in putnam competition?
BTW, i am planning to take all those courses by the end of the second semester while sophomore.
Thnx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Practice the Putnam. That's really the only thing I can suggest. The coursework is fine, but it's so different from the Putnam that it doesn't really prepare you at all.

zhentil said:
Practice the Putnam. That's really the only thing I can suggest. The coursework is fine, but it's so different from the Putnam that it doesn't really prepare you at all.

Yeah, but is there any specific book that contains strategies on how to tackle the putnam problems, or that contains samples of putnam problems, or i just have to check up the real putnam problems in the previous years?

The putnam is goin to test your knowledge of solving diff eqs or of proving the divergence theorem. It is going to test your problem solving skills, look online for past tests, that's probably your best bet. Find a math professor at your school to work with, I'm sue you aren't the only one who wants to do the putnam, my school actually offered an elective seminar on putnam problems last semester.

1. What is the Putnam competition?

The Putnam competition is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It is widely considered to be the most prestigious undergraduate mathematics competition in North America.

2. Who can participate in the Putnam competition?

Any undergraduate student from a college or university in the United States or Canada can participate in the Putnam competition. However, students must be enrolled full-time and must not have received a bachelor's degree or its equivalent before the date of the competition.

3. How do I register for the Putnam competition?

To participate in the Putnam competition, you must register through your college or university. Your school will have a designated faculty representative who will handle the registration process and provide you with information about the competition.

4. What is the format of the Putnam competition?

The Putnam competition consists of two 3-hour sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each session contains 6 problems, for a total of 12 problems. The problems are challenging and require a high level of mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the Putnam competition?

Participating in the Putnam competition allows students to challenge themselves and showcase their mathematical abilities. It can also be a valuable experience for students pursuing careers in mathematics or related fields. Additionally, high scores in the competition can lead to recognition and potential scholarship opportunities.