Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I am content with my current situation.I'm content with my current situation.I'm single and content with it.In summary, being single sucks.

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
euler_fan said:
married about six years and now have a MORTGAGE!

Marriage isn't about commitment to love each other. It's about paying the mortgage for the rest of your life until you pass away. You get married because it's a little easier to make the mortgage payments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Bring back a girl for Cyrus and a Shirazi salad for me. :cool:

I can't tease Cyrus too much because I think my dating standards were just as rigid when I was in my 20s. I only dated guys with long hair - no exceptions. I just loooved rocker boys.

I am still pretty strict with my standards. Except now I just require that they have hair. Well, ok, maybe I can be flexible on that. But they have to have most of their teeth. I'm not budging on that one. :biggrin:

do you mean, they could have lost one in their set of dentures?

Math Is Hard said:
I am still pretty strict with my standards. Except now I just require that they have hair. Well, ok, maybe I can be flexible on that. But they have to have most of their teeth. I'm not budging on that one. :biggrin:

Hmm...I live in WV, not sure if I can afford to be picky about the teeth either. :uhh:

I joke with my boyfriend that if we met when we were still in college, we'd have probably run in opposite directions. I don't think people really know what they want when they're that young, which accounts for strange pairings and high divorce rates. Then again, I'm not sure people really know what they want when they're my age either, just they have relaxed a bit and don't eliminate people so quickly. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to finding someone for a relationship, you know it when you find it. You can increase your chances by being more social and dating more people, but there's no easy way to seek it, and it has a way of sneaking up in unexpected ways.

Moonbear said:
Hmm...I live in WV, not sure if I can afford to be picky about the teeth either. :uhh:

I joke with my boyfriend that if we met when we were still in college, we'd have probably run in opposite directions. I don't think people really know what they want when they're that young, which accounts for strange pairings and high divorce rates. Then again, I'm not sure people really know what they want when they're my age either, just they have relaxed a bit and don't eliminate people so quickly. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to finding someone for a relationship, you know it when you find it. You can increase your chances by being more social and dating more people, but there's no easy way to seek it, and it has a way of sneaking up in unexpected ways.

some people get more reluctant not to try someone different as they get older too---that 'I want someone exactly like me' or 'I want someone at least as good or better than the last one' attitude--

-Seinfeld episodes often touched on 'reasons things' didn't work out----the one about George "SHE'S BALD"---"SHE'S GOT 'MAN' HANDS"

For those who say I am too pie-in-the-sky. Today I had lunch with my friend at a market and there was a girl and her mom there. The girl was too young (probably a senior in high school), but both her and her mom were absolutely gorgeous. Dark hair, perfect olive skin, no makeup. Just natural beauty. They both could have been models. The mom had a black dress on that showed most of her back, upper chest and legs. All of it was flawless.

Cyrus said:
there was a girl and her mom there
Very interesting situation, kind of time travel.

Kurdt said:
I have a pic of http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ugly3_lg.gif" with his lovely skin :wink:

HAhahaha kurdt you BUM! :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
When someone sets impossibly high standards for their potential mate's appearance or social status, it reminds me of High School cliques. Suzy is the head cheerleader, so she is the Alpha female and any guy that can't get her has to "settle". Bill is the high-scoring point guard and the captain of the basketball team, and he is SOO handsome... When I went to my 10-year class reunion (the only one I went to), most of the "Suzys" and "Bills" had already been divorced and remarried and I didn't know half of the people there. Some of those people are now on their third or fourth marriages. Sad. Don't accessorize yourself with your mate. Beauty is transitory. Rodin got it right with his belle heaulmière.

No, it just seems impossibly high because it seems you have no standards what so-ever. I don't see any point to your high school analogy, its so far off its hopeless and pointless. Yet again, you don't pay attention to what I write.

Lisa! said:
I should find Cyrus a Shirazian girl since the qualities he says mostly matches them! They don't need tan since their skin already look likes they have tan.:tongue:

Well, I am a Shirazi boy. :wink:

humanino said:
When I read Cyrus' description, I thought of my own gf. Does it mean I am dating the perfect girl. I certainly think so :biggrin: But from an objective point of view, maybe I'm just blindly in love. I repeat N+1 times my opinion : you guys don't show respect for feelings, which only matter. Rationalizing them is possible and sometimes useful, but it only comes second and cannot change feelings. Rationalizing can change your behavior, and your open-mindness to feeling, but only in the future.

That's why I told you your gf is cute. :smile:

Shoshana said:
Aw, I can't get this link.
But I suppose after the the ex-playboy bunnies go south, and their counter parts employ live-in hydraulics experts.
If they are lucky to live that long they will wish they started looking inward so many years earlier.
But this young person Cyrus, may still be a teen in which case his thoughts are pretty much on target. At least as much as my dusty old diary read.

You don't even know me...

Apparently some of you think looks are the only thing I factor in, which is quite sad since I already said otherwise several times. If you read what I said, its there. I don't recall saying I dumped anyone explicity because of their skin either...

Cyrus said:
For those who say I am too pie-in-the-sky. Today I had lunch with my friend at a market and there was a girl and her mom there. The girl was too young (probably a senior in high school), but both her and her mom were absolutely gorgeous. Dark hair, perfect olive skin, no makeup. Just natural beauty. They both could have been models. The mom had a black dress on that showed most of her back, upper chest and legs. All of it was flawless.
Finally a man who cares about natural beauty not those girls who wear make up heavily that you're barely able to recognize their faces!
Cyrus said:
Well, I am a Shirazi boy. :wink:

Your origin's certainly affected your taste!:wink:

Cyrus said:
No, it just seems impossibly high because it seems you have no standards what so-ever. I don't see any point to your high school analogy, its so far off its hopeless and pointless. Yet again, you don't pay attention to what I write.
That post was not aimed at you in particular Cy, just a generalization about the viability of relationships based on things that ultimately turn out not to matter that much. Many of the really popular, good-looking kids in my HS are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage because they took a long time to learn lessons about perception vs reality. Believe me, I had very high standards when I was young, and still do. I would never date a woman who would gossip or do hurtful things to others. I would never date a woman who valued appearance or popularity over character - there is just no basis for a relationship between myself and someone that shallow. I dated a very attractive young woman for a while until she started doing manipulative things. She thought that she was entitled to have a much greater influence on my personal life than I was willing to allow, so we parted ways. Yeah, she was intelligent (and was a Miss Maine runner-up after we parted), but character was a much bigger issue for me.

Lisa! said:
Finally a man who cares about natural beauty not those girls who wear make up heavily that you're barely able to recognize their faces!
Not really, why do you think that some girls cake-on their make-up? Maybe because some guys expect them to have a phenomenally flawless skin?

Cyrus said:
You don't even know me...

Apparently some of you think looks are the only thing I factor in, which is quite sad since I already said otherwise several times. If you read what I said, its there. I don't recall saying I dumped anyone explicity because of their skin either...

As you know I just sent you a very nice PM to which you responded so rudely as to tell me in the only to "P** off." The second you reiterated such with an emphasis on "WOMAN."
I was raised in American upper class with strong emphasis on Victorian manners. Never did a man bark at a female..."WOMAN."
Tell me dear, How do you intend on treating this perfect beauty you seek in private if you treat strangers in such a way?

Monique said:
Not really, why do you think that some girls cake-on their make-up? Maybe because some guys expect them to have a phenomenally flawless skin?

Nope! I just don't care why they do this since anyone has the right to do whatever s/he wants with his/her body, IMO! It's just strange for me when I see people expect all women to wear make-up all the time, everywhere. And otherwise they take you as a weirdo and maybe not a real woman.

Lisa! said:

Your origin's certainly affected your taste!:wink:

I find that girls from the mediterranean, israel, and middle east, have that type of look. Sometimes central and south america too.

What I don't like is that pale eastern european, red hair very fair skin type of woman with blonde hair and blue eyes.

There's women out there whose goal is to have perfect skin, and to be perfect for their man in every way--to the point of wearing what the man wants her to wear, and not to speak if not spoken to, etc.---a lot of women have a goal of just trying to look as good as they can forever--just look at all of the beauty, exercise, weight loss, etc. that are directed at women for them to look 'good'--a whole lot of women take that as their main goal in life for their whole life--too bad, but its true.

And then there's some men that look for that type of women--and some men have the same goals as that type of woman too.

Some men look at women as objects, if they have a chip, they're only worth 10% of what they would be worth if they were perfect.

Last edited:
Shoshana said:
As you know I just sent you a very nice PM to which you responded so rudely as to tell me in the only to "P** off." The second you reiterated such with an emphasis on "WOMAN."
I was raised in American upper class with strong emphasis on Victorian manners. Never did a man bark at a female..."WOMAN."
Tell me dear, How do you intend on treating this perfect beauty you seek in private if you treat strangers in such a way?

Yeah, I did. Let me tell you something, honey: I don't send you PM's asking you 'please tell me your 14, dear'. There was NO POINT to your PM other than to bust my balls. So I gave you exactly the answer you deserved, and was too modest really.

I highly doubt you have any victorian manners if you sent me such a PM. Or maybe you should have just put in more thought before you sent me a random stupid message like that.

I treat people how they treat me. You're the one that sent me a PM like that, not I. Dont open your mouth and talk to me like that when I never did the same to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
That post was not aimed at you in particular Cy, just a generalization about the viability of relationships based on things that ultimately turn out not to matter that much. Many of the really popular, good-looking kids in my HS are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage because they took a long time to learn lessons about perception vs reality. Believe me, I had very high standards when I was young, and still do. I would never date a woman who would gossip or do hurtful things to others. I would never date a woman who valued appearance or popularity over character - there is just no basis for a relationship between myself and someone that shallow. I dated a very attractive young woman for a while until she started doing manipulative things. She thought that she was entitled to have a much greater influence on my personal life than I was willing to allow, so we parted ways. Yeah, she was intelligent (and was a Miss Maine runner-up after we parted), but character was a much bigger issue for me.

Then I apologize Turbo. I thought you were directing that comment at me as a reply, and I agree. What I am saying is that I look for my list of physical things, before I get to the more important mental things.

Lisa! said:
Nope! I just don't care why they do this since anyone has the right to do whatever s/he wants with his/her body, IMO! It's just strange for me when I see people expect all women to wear make-up all the time, everywhere. And otherwise they take you as a weirdo and maybe not a real woman.

Amen. It's a blessing in disguise that my skin is too sensitive to wear much makeup (one day I can get away with, two days in a row and I'll get dermatitis).

Interestingly, men don't seem to mind a natural woman. It's the overly made-up women that give me the evil eye!

lisab said:
Amen. It's a blessing in disguise that my skin is too sensitive to wear much makeup (one day I can get away with, two days in a row and I'll get dermatitis).

Interestingly, men don't seem to mind a natural woman. It's the overly made-up women that give me the evil eye!

Overly made up women, women with nail polish...they remind me of hookers.

I really wish I took a picture of that girl and her mom today. They had almost no makeup and just looked amazzinggg the way they were. The girl should be a model, and so should her mom. Nice round cute face with distinct facial feature. The mom and the daughter had difference faces. Probably she took after her father, but they both had unique things about them that were very very pretty.

Cyrus said:
Then I apologize Turbo. I thought you were directing that comment at me as a reply, and I agree. What I am saying is that I look for my list of physical things, before I get to the more important mental things.
Accepted Cy. BTW, the lovely lady that started trying to get manipulative NEVER wore makeup. She looked great all the time, too, especially when she had a glow from skiing and other winter activities. I saw beauty pageant pictures of her and was disappointed that she let herself be made up to compete and didn't go clean and natural.

turbo-1 said:
Accepted Cy. BTW, the lovely lady that started trying to get manipulative NEVER wore makeup. She looked great all the time, too, especially when she had a glow from skiing and other winter activities. I saw beauty pageant pictures of her and was disappointed that she let herself be made up to compete and didn't go clean and natural.

I have never seen my mother wear any makeup or nail polish my entire life. She hates the stuff, and its probably why I like girls that don't wear it. The only times women look good is when its very very very sutble.

I don't like girls that wear bright nail polish or super red lip-stick. It looks so cheap...:yuck: And I don't want someone that constantly fusses over something like their nails or color of their hair.

Cyrus said:
What I am saying is that I look for my list of physical things, before I get to the more important mental things.

doesn't 'more important' usually mean they are more important (those mental things) than other things (physical things); and should, therefore, be logically the FIRST things (those mental things) to examine on the list first?

Cyrus said:
I have never seen my mother wear any makeup or nail polish my entire life. She hates the stuff, and its probably why I like girls that don't wear it.

everything makes sense now

Cyrus said:
Yeah, I did. Let me tell you something, honey: I don't send you PM's asking you 'please tell me your 14, dear'. There was NO POINT to your PM other than to bust my balls. So I gave you exactly the answer you deserved, and was too modest really.

I highly doubt you have any victorian manners if you sent me such a PM. Or maybe you should have just put in more thought before you sent me a random stupid message like that.

I treat people how they treat me. You're the one that sent me a PM like that, not I. Dont open your mouth and talk to me like that when I never did the same to you.

Go see a shrink.....you're nuts.
What a gem!
I sent you that PM Victorian background and all because I was married in an arranged marriage to a middle eastern man from who I had to run for my life.
I don't know what kind of back ground you have, but...
I AM A SURVIVOR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND THIS IS EXACTLY HOW IT STARTS!
Ask any battered woman.
You can come to the shrink with me sweetie!Q

Shoshana said:
What a gem!
I sent you that PM Victorian background and all because I was married in an arranged marriage to a middle eastern man from who I had to run for my life.
I don't know what kind of back ground you have, but...
I AM A SURVIVOR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND THIS IS EXACTLY HOW IT STARTS!
Ask any battered woman.
You can come to the shrink with me sweetie!Q

...wow thanks for the generalization, I think? :confused:

I guess were all alike, sort of like black people, eh?

You have issues, talk to a shrink. I don't take smart comments from people like you, man or woman. Had you been a man, I would have told you the exact same thing. Dont play the sex card. You're a direspectful woman, and think you can get away with it by throwing in your "battered past". Get some class you claim to have.

I've been around lots of women, and I can smell BS a mile a way. It reeks right now.

rewebster said:
doesn't 'more important' usually mean they are more important (those mental things) than other things (physical things); and should, therefore, be logically the FIRST things (those mental things) to examine on the list first?

No, because it's much easier to see if someone satisfies the physical criteria. It's like, in a very crude way, a job application. If you didn't have the necessary degree then the company would not invite you in for an interview and waste both of your time.

Cyrus said:
...wow thanks for the generalization, I think? :confused:

I guess were all alike, sort of like black people, eh?

You have issues, talk to a shrink. I don't take smart comments from people like you, man or woman. Had you been a man, I would have told you the exact same thing. Dont play the sex card.

she may be saying that you sound like her ex---and even this post of yours, you're telling her what to do

cristo said:
No, because it's much easier to see if someone satisfies the physical criteria. It's like, in a very crude way, a job application. If you didn't have the necessary degree then the company would not invite you in for an interview and waste both of your time.

only IF physical criteria are more important

that's why 'more important' is emphasized

rewebster said:
she may be saying that you sound like her ex---and even this post of yours, you're telling her what to do

rewebster, you should get a life.

rewebster said:
only IF physical criteria are more important

that's why 'more important' is emphasized

I don't think you comprehend how dating works. When you start dating, come back and talk. Dating starts with physical attraction.

turbo-1 said:
I would never date a woman who would gossip ...
Talk about outrageously high standards!

I remember Dolores Keane talking about gossip in an interview about a song she and Iris Dement sang (When Irish Girls Grow Up). She said Irish women could gossip all they wanted, even though it was considered sinful, because when they went to mass, they just asked forgiveness beforehand. :rofl:

Cyrus said:
I don't think you comprehend how dating works. When you start dating, come back and talk. Dating starts with physical attraction.

well, obviously you know more than me (you think), and can tell others that their opinions aren't are good as yours----fine (I guess)--