Initial condition leads to periodic solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining if initial conditions lead to a periodic solution of a given ODE. The equations given are non-linear and involve derivatives of x and y. There is confusion about whether the question is asking in general or for the specific equations given. The suggested method for determining a periodic solution is to linearize around the equilibrium and check the eigenvalues.
mmnoname
Hi, I have a question that asks me to explain how you could know if the initial conditions lead to a periodic solution of an ODE but I have no clue right now. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

edit: The question is a bit obscure because I am not sure if they are asking in general of for the specific equations that were given so I decided to copy the exact question in here.

x'' = 2*y' + x - (1 - (1/82.5))*(x+(1/82.5))/sqrt((x+mu)^2 + y^2)^3 - (1/82.5)*(x-(1 - (1/82.5)))/sqrt((x-muBar)^2 + y^2)^3 - f*x'

y'' = -2*x' + y - (1 - (1/82.5))*y/sqrt((x+mu)^2 + y^2)^3 - (1/82.5)*y/sqrt((x-muBar)^2 + y^2)^3 - f*y';

where f is any constant initialy 0

and the question is

Discuss how you could determine whether a given set of initial condtions leads to a periodic solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i have never seen these kind of diff. eq. that include the derivatives of bot x and y.
Is this a partial derivative, or an ordinary diff. eq?
This is out of my domain...lol...

But i think that the question is specific for this equation, not in general.

For a local solution, linearize around the equilibrium and check the eigenvalues if they are on the imaginary axis...

Last edited:

1. What is an initial condition?

An initial condition is the starting point of a system or process. It is a set of values or parameters that define the state of the system at the beginning of a time period or experiment.

2. How does an initial condition affect the solution of a system?

The initial condition is a crucial factor in determining the behavior of a system. It sets the starting point for the system and can greatly influence its future trajectory and ultimate outcome.

3. What is a periodic solution?

A periodic solution is a type of solution in which a system repeats its behavior over regular intervals of time. This means that the system's state at any given time is a function of its state at previous moments in time.

4. How does an initial condition lead to a periodic solution?

If the initial condition is set in a way that corresponds to a periodic behavior, then the system will continue to repeat this behavior over time. This can be seen in systems such as pendulums or oscillators, where the initial position or velocity determines the pattern of motion.

5. Are all initial conditions capable of leading to periodic solutions?

No, not all initial conditions can lead to periodic solutions. In some cases, the initial condition may cause the system to exhibit chaotic or unpredictable behavior. However, certain systems have stable, predictable periodic solutions for a wide range of initial conditions.