Initial values lead to periodic solution

In summary: If not can you please provide an example?The question is asking for an example where you know the general solution, and you are given two initial values for an ODE. Can you provide an example of this?
mmnoname

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

How do you know when a given set of initial values for an ODE produce a periodic solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried playing around with it for a bit and then searching the net but came up with nothing

Physics news on Phys.org
mmnoname said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

How do you know when a given set of initial values for an ODE produce a periodic solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried playing around with it for a bit and then searching the net but came up with nothing

What do you mean with periodic solution? Probbably i am not used to this term. DO you mean like for example that sinx has a period of 2pi, and so its values after 2pi start to repeat, sth like this, right? or?-

yup that's it. Also by the wording of the question it sounds as if it's asking for all cases not just the particular ODE given. But if it makes any difference, it's a second order ODE that's pretty long so I'd rather not type it up unless you really need it

Are you saying that even if you have a genereal solution of a diff eq. for example

[tex]y(x)=e^{x}+c_1e^{-x}+c_2xe^{x}[/tex] then for y(a)=b , y'(a)=k. you are saying that for what values of a,b,k the solution y(x) will be periodic, right?

I just took that example at the top of my head, but we run into those kind of problems all the time.

If you are saying this, then i have no clue either, sorry! Unles there are at least one function on the general solution that is by itself periodic, otherwise i would also be interested to know.

I don't think we are even suppose to know the general solution but we have to figure it out from the question

mmnoname said:
I don't think we are even suppose to know the general solution but we have to figure it out from the question

AH, sorry, i don't think i am getting you right. Is that question all you were given?

1. What are initial values in the context of periodic solutions?

Initial values refer to the specific starting conditions of a system or equation that determine its behavior over time. In the context of periodic solutions, these initial values can dictate whether the solution will repeat itself in a predictable pattern or exhibit chaotic behavior.

2. How do initial values impact the periodicity of a solution?

The initial values can greatly influence the periodicity of a solution. If the initial values are chosen in a way that results in a stable and predictable system, the solution will exhibit periodic behavior. However, if the initial values are chosen randomly or in a way that leads to instability, the solution may not exhibit periodicity.

3. Can a change in initial values lead to a change in the periodicity of a solution?

Yes, a change in initial values can result in a change in the periodicity of a solution. For example, small changes in initial values can lead to a different number of oscillations or a change in the amplitude of the periodic solution. In some cases, a small change in initial values can even lead to a completely different type of solution, such as aperiodic or chaotic behavior.

4. Are there any techniques for choosing initial values that will result in a periodic solution?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to select initial values that will lead to a periodic solution. One common approach is to use the concept of stability analysis, where the initial values are chosen in a way that ensures the system will remain stable and exhibit periodic behavior. Other techniques include trial and error, or using mathematical methods such as bifurcation diagrams to identify stable initial values.

5. Can a system have multiple periodic solutions based on different initial values?

Yes, a system can have multiple periodic solutions based on different initial values. This is known as multi-stability, where a system can have multiple stable solutions depending on the initial conditions. This phenomenon is commonly observed in nonlinear systems and can result in complex behavior, such as the coexistence of periodic and chaotic solutions.