What Are the Standard Molecules Used in Twisted Nematic LCD Displays?

In summary, standard LCD displays have an issue with even spreading of light, which can make them difficult to view. Circular polarizing methods can help to improve this.
matheyrichs
I've been looking into LCD technology recently and have found a ton of sites that explain how twisted nematic crystals guide polarization of incident light and how LCDs work in general. But no one seems to explain which molecules are in fact twisted nematic crystals.

can anyone tell me what some standard molecules used as twisted nematics are??

thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you researched liquid crystals yet?

Yes -- i actually started digging deeper and found more specifics -- looks like 5CB is a standard molecule used in LCDs.

I kept finding info saying that polar nematic crystals were used, but not the specific molecules. I thought maybe LCD manufacturers keep trade secrets on which compounds work well and what their properties are...

Twisted nematics can also be called cholesteric nematic materials. This group of nematics rotates plane polarized light somewhat and is used between polarized (visible, not electrical) plates to change the reflectivity of the display. The changes in reflectivity are manifest as dark/light or as a color. The name cholesteric refers to the first compound in the series to exhibit the property of 'twist' in the liquid crystalline state.

The first paper describing the electro active behavior of these twisted nematics (cholesterics) is found http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v28/i10/p593_1" . Sorry it is only an abstract but it is highly retrievable at your local library and well worth your effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great article! Luckily I'm on a college campus that has a lot of subscriptions to online journals and I'm able to view the full text no problem.

So standard LCD displays have issues with even spreading of light (due to polarization), creating the effect where you are able to move your head to a weird viewing angle and the display dims / disappears. I've heard mention that using circular polarizing methods instead of guiding linear polarization might be one method of improving this.

It seems to me that if you use the exact same setup but with a circular polarizer (say left-handed) instead of a linear polarizer at the beginning, wouldn't the TN-LC cell create a certain phase shift in the light based on whether it is twisted and "guiding" or not?

This isn't something I've spent any time researching (too busy with classes ending and final exams :p) but I'd love to know more about it if anyone knows about this research!

1. What are LCD twisted nematic molecules?

LCD (liquid crystal display) twisted nematic molecules are a type of liquid crystal molecule that is commonly used in LCD screens. They have a unique molecular structure and behavior that allows for the manipulation of light to create images on a screen.

2. How do LCD twisted nematic molecules work?

LCD twisted nematic molecules work by rotating polarized light in response to an applied electric field. This rotation of light allows for the creation of images on an LCD screen, as the light is either blocked or allowed to pass through to different areas of the screen.

3. What are the advantages of using LCD twisted nematic molecules in displays?

There are several advantages to using LCD twisted nematic molecules in displays. These include low power consumption, fast response times, and the ability to produce high-resolution images. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce compared to other display technologies.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using LCD twisted nematic molecules?

One drawback of LCD twisted nematic molecules is the limited viewing angle. This means that the display may appear distorted or washed out when viewed from certain angles. Additionally, they can suffer from image persistence, where a residual image may remain on the screen after the display has been changed.

5. How are LCD twisted nematic molecules made?

LCD twisted nematic molecules are made through a process called polymerization. This involves mixing liquid crystal monomers and a photo-initiator, which are then exposed to UV light to form a polymer network. This network forms the structure of the LCD molecule and allows for its unique properties.