How to figure in cascading coefficients of friction?

In summary, to calculate the overall system coefficient of friction, you would multiply the individual coefficients of friction for each component in the system.
all_bran
I have a system that has several different sections which different coefficients of friction. Most rolling. The mechanics go in this order: motor, gearbox, pulleys & wire rope, and rollers that align a vertical door in a track. So I'm going to say my lubricated metal gearbox is ~0.01. My wire rope & pulleys rolling friction is 0.002. and the polymer wheels on steel is 0.002 as well.

How do I combine these to get an overall system coefficient of friction? add them? multiple? multiply squares & square root?

Please advise... I have a sizing software program that I use, but I have to give it a coefficient of friction for the entire system.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, you would want to multiply the coefficients of friction together to get an overall system coefficient of friction. This is because each element of the system is likely to have an effect on the total friction of the system. For example, if the motor and gearbox produce a certain amount of friction, but the pulleys and rollers also contribute to the friction, then the overall coefficient of friction will be higher than if the motor and gearbox were considered alone. So, for your system, you would multiply 0.01 x 0.002 x 0.002 to get an overall system coefficient of friction of 0.000004.

I would suggest using a combination of both theoretical calculations and experimental data to determine the overall system coefficient of friction. First, you can use the individual coefficients of friction for each component and calculate the expected friction for each section. This can be done by multiplying the normal force (weight) by the coefficient of friction for each section.

Next, I would recommend conducting experiments to measure the actual friction in each section. This can be done by using a force gauge or by measuring the force required to move the system. By comparing the theoretical calculations with the experimental data, you can determine if there are any discrepancies and adjust the coefficients accordingly.

In terms of combining the coefficients, it is important to consider the direction of motion and the type of friction (rolling or sliding). For example, if the motion is in the same direction for all components, you can simply add the coefficients of friction. However, if the motion is in different directions or involves a combination of rolling and sliding, you may need to use more complex equations or consult with a mechanical engineer.

Overall, it is important to gather accurate data and carefully consider the direction and type of motion when determining the overall system coefficient of friction. This will ensure that your sizing software program is using the most accurate value and can provide reliable results for your system.

1. What is the definition of cascading coefficients of friction?

Cascading coefficients of friction refer to the combined effect of multiple surfaces rubbing against each other, resulting in a change in the overall friction force.

2. How do cascading coefficients of friction affect the motion of an object?

Cascading coefficients of friction can either increase or decrease the overall friction force, depending on the direction and magnitude of the individual coefficients of friction.

3. How do you calculate cascading coefficients of friction?

To calculate cascading coefficients of friction, you need to first determine the individual coefficients of friction for each surface and then use a mathematical formula to combine them.

4. What factors can affect the cascading coefficients of friction?

The surface texture, weight of the object, and the type of motion can all affect the cascading coefficients of friction. Additionally, any changes in temperature or surface lubrication can also impact the coefficients.

5. How can cascading coefficients of friction be minimized?

To minimize cascading coefficients of friction, you can use smoother surfaces, reduce the weight of the object, or introduce lubrication between the surfaces. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact can also help to decrease the overall friction force.