What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Pauli principle, which states that no two particles can have the same quantum state at the same time. The link provided is considered advanced for those new to the concept, and the conversation provides a simplified explanation using examples. It is also noted that this rule only applies to particles with a specific spin, and particles with different spins do not follow this principle.
supernovae
hi

i just wanted to ask if anyone could help me understand this principle i have read around and still seem to be getting nowhere.
i found this example but its confusing and does not give explanations http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pauli.html#c1

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi supernovae! :smile:

erm … if the books can't help, why would we be any better? :confused:

Perhaps if you quote some specific sentence you don't understand, we could have a go at explaining that? :smile:

The link you gave is a bit advanced for somebody being exposed to the Pauli principle for the very first time. In a nutshell: No two particles can have the same exact quantum state at the same exact time.

What's a quantum state you might say? If you're drawing Lewis dot diagrams, think of it like no two electrons can be in the exact place at the same exact time.

cmos said:
The link you gave is a bit advanced for somebody being exposed to the Pauli principle for the very first time. In a nutshell: No two particles can have the same exact quantum state at the same exact time.

What's a quantum state you might say? If you're drawing Lewis dot diagrams, think of it like no two electrons can be in the exact place at the same exact time.

There should be a qualification here that this rule only applies to Fermions, i.e. particles with spin 1/2, 3/2, etc. Particles with spin 0, 1, etc are Bosons, and do not obey Pauli's exclusion principle.

As an example, protons and neutrons are Fermions, photos are Bosons.

What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that two fermions cannot have the same set of quantum numbers.

Who discovered the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle was first proposed by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925. It was later named after him as a tribute to his contribution to the field of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is significant because it helps explain the behavior of atoms and their electronic structure. It also plays a crucial role in determining the properties of matter and its stability.

How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle affect electron configurations?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle dictates that each orbital can only hold a maximum of two electrons with opposite spins. This means that in an atom, electrons will occupy different orbitals with different quantum numbers in order to avoid violating the principle.

Can the Pauli Exclusion Principle be violated?

No, the Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental law of nature and has been proven to hold true in numerous experiments. It is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.