Mach-Zehnder Interferometer at Wiki Question

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding a Wikipedia article about MZ interferometers. They mention a picture of four photon paths and the probability of detecting a photon at different detectors. They are unsure about the probability for the bottom right diagram and are wondering if it is 50%. The other person clarifies that the top-left and bottom-left diagrams are the same and the same goes for the top-right and bottom-right.
daniel29208
Can anyone help out?

I was reading about MZ interferometers on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach-Zehnder

In the wiki article they have a picture of 4 samples of photon paths in a MZ interferometer. They indicate the probability of a finding a photon at detectors (A,B,C) for 3 of the diagrams but the fourth they leave you guessing. I am really bugged. I can't find the answer anywhere. What is the probability of detecting a photon at detector A in the bottom right diagram. I am thinking it must be 50%?

Physics news on Phys.org
where is the question? i think you misunderstood the article.
the top-left and bottom-left pictures represent the same apparatus, as well as the top-right and bottom-right.

I can definitely help you out with this question! The answer to the probability of detecting a photon at detector A in the bottom right diagram is indeed 50%. This is because in a Mach-Zehnder interferometer, the light is split into two paths (upper and lower) and then recombined at the end. In the bottom right diagram, the light has been split and then recombined in such a way that there is an equal probability of the photon reaching detector A as there is of it reaching detector B. This is known as constructive interference, where the two paths have the same phase and therefore add up to a larger amplitude. Thus, the probability of detecting a photon at either detector A or B is equal, and since there are only two possible outcomes, the probability is 50%. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of MZ interferometers!

What is a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

A Mach-Zehnder Interferometer is a type of interferometer used to measure small changes in optical paths. It consists of two beamsplitter cubes and two mirrors arranged in a specific configuration to create an interference pattern.

How does a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer work?

A Mach-Zehnder Interferometer works by splitting a single beam of light into two paths and then recombining them to create an interference pattern. This pattern is then measured to determine any changes in the optical path, such as phase shifts or changes in refractive index.

What are the applications of a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

Mach-Zehnder Interferometers have a wide range of applications, including measuring small displacements, detecting small changes in refractive index, and as a component in optical communication systems. They are also used in research and development for studying the properties of light and materials.

How accurate is a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

The accuracy of a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer depends on various factors such as the quality of the optics, the stability of the setup, and the precision of the measurement equipment. However, it is capable of measuring changes in optical paths down to a fraction of a wavelength of light, making it a highly accurate instrument.

Are there any disadvantages to using a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

While Mach-Zehnder Interferometers are a powerful tool for measuring small changes in optical paths, they can be sensitive to external vibrations and fluctuations in temperature. This can affect the accuracy of the measurements and may require additional measures to stabilize the setup. Additionally, the setup and alignment can be complex, making it more challenging to use for inexperienced users.