Can Light's Speed be Considered Constant if it Can be Slowed Down?

• Thread starter JSM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the speed of light in vacuum is a constant, but the speed of individual photons can vary depending on the medium they travel through. This distinction is important to understand in relation to the concept of slowing down light and the properties of massless particles such as gluons and photons.
JSM
HELLO ALL, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post I've just recently switched from Bio-engeneering to physics and math for my undergrad. I have been reading a lot recently about the successes in slowing down light. I have just a basic question in relation to this. If we can slow light then how can its speed still be counted as a constant? This question also leads to another, that is how if light is not a constant can we still count photons as a massless particle? The gluon is still considered massless but it is only found in hadrons, but the photon it seems loses the property of a massless particle once is experiences time (I.E. slowing down from light speed) I thought this would cause a problem similar to the neutrinos having flavours? This has just been stumping me recently and all my professors are out of town at the moment. I would appreciate it if someone could clear it up for me. Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
What is constant is the speed of light in vacuum.

To avoid a lot of confusion later in the thread, I will mention now that what is commonly referred to as the speed of light, is distinct from the speed of individual photons. The speed of light, i.e. the phase velocity of light, does indeed vary depending on the medium through which it travels in accordance with Snell's law of refraction. However, individual photons always travel at C irrespective of the medium through which they travel.

1. What is slowing light?

Slowing light refers to the control and manipulation of light waves in order to reduce their speed. This is achieved through the use of specially designed materials and techniques, such as using a medium with a high refractive index or creating a photonic band gap.

2. Why is slowing light important?

Slowing light has important implications in various fields of science and technology. It can be used to study the fundamental properties of light, such as its behavior in different mediums. It also has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, quantum computing, and medical imaging.

3. How is light slowed down?

Light can be slowed down through a phenomenon called "electromagnetically induced transparency" (EIT). This involves using a laser to excite atoms in a medium, creating a "coherence" between them. This coherence temporarily changes the properties of the medium, causing light to slow down as it passes through.

4. Can light be slowed down to a complete stop?

While light can be slowed down significantly, it cannot be brought to a complete stop. This is due to the fact that light particles, or photons, have no mass and are always in motion. However, they can be slowed down to extremely low speeds, creating the illusion of being stationary.

5. What are some potential applications of slowing light?

Slowing light has many potential applications in various fields. In telecommunications, it can be used to improve the efficiency and security of data transfer. In quantum computing, it can be used to store and manipulate information encoded in light particles. In medical imaging, it can be used to create more detailed and accurate images of the human body. It also has potential applications in military technology, such as creating stealth technology.