Activation Energy: Find Adsorption Rate Constant

In summary, the conversation is about finding the activation energy of adsorption and the rate constant. The person is confused about how to determine the activation energy and mentions methods from Wikipedia, but these are for gases. They also ask if this has anything to do with nuclear or particle physics, but it is clarified that it is related to adsorption of SDS on solid particles with polymers. A link is provided to help them understand and remove their confusion.
searchlove
Can anybody help me out to find Activation energy of adsorption and in that rate constant?

i am confused ...please help me out?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please specify

i want to find the Diffusion coefficient of SDS molecules and with polymer mixture, which is as

Da = D exp[-Ea/RT]

i am confused how to determine the (-Ea), which is termed as activation energy.

I know the D, as found from Static surface tension measurement, R and T. But i am not getting Clue to find (-Ea).

their are methods given on Wikipedia but for gases.....Now can you guide me?

Last edited:
Ok, has this anything to do with Nuclear or particle physics? =)

Mods, move to Atomic physics forum.

No,

i am doing adsorption of sds on some solid particles with polymers like Al, TiO2
etc

malawi_glenn is right about this (as many other things :P) this is not nuclear physiscs/hep
hope this might help u though.. http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/eactivat.html

thanks
i got it.

i was confused...but the link is god enough to elaborate and remove my confusion.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a reaction to occur. In other words, it is the energy needed to break the bonds in the reactants and initiate the reaction.

2. How is activation energy related to adsorption rate constant?

The activation energy for a reaction is directly related to the adsorption rate constant, as it determines the speed at which the reactants will adsorb onto the surface. A higher activation energy leads to a lower adsorption rate constant, meaning the reaction will occur at a slower rate.

3. How is the adsorption rate constant calculated?

The adsorption rate constant is calculated by dividing the rate of adsorption by the concentration of the adsorbate. It is typically given in units of L/mol*s.

4. What factors affect the activation energy and adsorption rate constant?

The activation energy and adsorption rate constant can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and presence of catalysts. A higher temperature and concentration of reactants generally lead to a lower activation energy and higher adsorption rate constant.

5. Why is understanding activation energy and adsorption rate constant important?

Understanding activation energy and adsorption rate constant is crucial for predicting the rate of chemical reactions and optimizing reaction conditions. It also helps in designing and improving industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and catalysts.