What happens when water is heated above its critical temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of water in a metal container that is hermetically closed and filled with water. The container is assumed to have unlimited strength and will not deform under pressure. The question is raised about what will happen if the water is heated above its critical temperature, and whether it will turn into steam even though the container is filled with water. The conversation concludes by mentioning that above the critical temperature, the water will be in a supercritical state and will not have separate phases. The water will continue to increase in temperature until it decomposes. A water diagram is also provided for reference.
Kasper_NYC
Hi,

It is supposed a metal container hermetically closed and completely filled with water; the container is supposed to have unlimited strength, so doesn’t deform under internal or external pressure.

What will be happen if we heat the water over its critical temperature (374 C degrees – 705.2 F degrees)? Will it become steam? If yes, how? Because the container is fully filled with water and this is denser than steam (that is a gas).

If doesn’t become steam (gas), will continue the water increasing its temperature over the critical temperature as we increase the temperature we apply?

Thanks a lot.

PS – I apologize for my English, I am learning it.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, according to my understanding, above the critical temperature, that is supercritical water and there will be no phase separation. Therefore, there will be only one 'fluid' phase in the region above the critical temperature. it's neither liquid nor gas, but it's still water!Since your container is fixed at constant volume, the density is also fixed. So the water (in fluid phase) will continue increasing its temperature as you increase the temperature outside, until the water molecules decompose.

That is my opinion. If anyone find errors in my words, please correct it. Thanks.

Thanks Isloneil for your interesting answer.

What is the critical temperature of a gas?

The critical temperature of a gas is the highest temperature at which a gas can be liquefied by increasing the pressure. Above this temperature, no amount of pressure can cause the gas to liquefy.

How does the critical temperature of a gas affect its properties?

The critical temperature of a gas determines its behavior under different conditions. At temperatures below the critical temperature, a gas can be easily liquefied by applying pressure. However, at temperatures above the critical temperature, the gas behaves more like a gas and is difficult to liquefy.

What is the significance of the critical temperature in industrial processes?

The critical temperature is an important factor in industrial processes such as refrigeration and liquefaction of gases. It helps determine the conditions needed to convert a gas into a liquid, making it useful for various applications.

Can the critical temperature of a gas be altered?

The critical temperature of a gas is a characteristic property of that particular gas and cannot be altered. It is determined by the intermolecular forces between the gas molecules.

What happens to a gas at its critical temperature?

At its critical temperature, a gas exists in a state called the critical point, where it cannot be distinguished as a gas or a liquid. It displays properties of both a gas and a liquid, such as high density and low compressibility.