Proof of A Intersection (A union B) = A for Sets A and B | Simple Set Proof

• Thread starter iamalexalright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Sets
In summary, to prove that A\cap(A\cupB) = A for any sets A and B, you need to show that each set is a subset of the other. This can be done by first showing that x \in A implies x \in A \cap \left(A \cup B \right), and then showing that x \in A \cap \left(A \cup B\right) implies x \in A. This will prove that A\cap(A\cupB) = A.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

For any sets A and B, prove that

A[tex]\cap[/tex](A[tex]\cup[/tex]B) = A

2. The attempt at a solution
Now keep in mind I don't have any experience with proofs(and I am looking for a nudge in the right direction not a full proof).

Here was my first instinct(and don't yell at me too much for it):
Suppose x [tex]\in[/tex] A [tex]\cup[/tex] B
Then x [tex]\in[/tex] A or x [tex]\in[/tex] B
If x [tex]\in[/tex] A
then x [tex]\in[/tex] A [tex]\cap[/tex] A
so A = A
IF x [tex]\in[/tex] B

Now after writing that I felt that this is not a good way to prove the problem(or a way to do it at all). So any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only cases you really need to worry about are i) x is in A and ii) x is not in A. Can you handle those two?

You need to show

[tex]
A \cap \left( A \cup B \right) = A,
[/tex]

correct? This means you must show that each set is a subset of the other.
1. Start with [tex] x \in A [/tex] and show that it has to follow that

[tex]
x \in A \cap \left(A \cup B \right)
[/tex]

This will give that [tex] A \cap \left(A \cup B \right) \supseteq A [/tex]

2. Now pick [tex] x \in A \cap \left(A \cup B\right)[/tex]. You need to show that this means [tex] x \in A [/tex] (this should be rather easy). This will show that

[tex]
A \cap \left(A \cup B \right) \subseteq A
[/tex]

and you will be done.

1. What is a set in mathematics?

A set in mathematics is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a common property or characteristic. Sets are denoted by curly braces { } and the elements are listed inside the braces, separated by commas.

2. How is a set different from a list?

A set is different from a list in that a set contains only distinct elements, while a list can have duplicate elements. Additionally, the order of elements in a set is not important, whereas the order of elements in a list is preserved.

3. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set S = {1, 2, 3}, then |S| = 3.

4. What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of the original set. It is denoted by P(S), where S is the original set. The power set of a set with n elements will have 2^n subsets, including the empty set and the set itself.

5. How is set theory used in mathematics?

Set theory is used in mathematics to define and study the properties of sets, as well as to model and solve problems in various fields such as algebra, geometry, and probability. It is also the foundation for other mathematical concepts such as functions, relations, and logic.