I want to resolve to the degree of saturation of a salt solution

In summary, the individual is looking for a formula to determine the degree of saturation of salt brines using specific gravity and degrees Fahrenheit measurements. They are aware of charts and instruments that can adjust for temperature, but their hydrometer only measures specific gravity and is calibrated at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. They are seeking help, unsure if they are in the right place, and have been directed to consult a book on densities of aqueous solutions for potential formulae.
rezaxis
I want to measure salt brines. I can measure specific gravity and degrees Fahrenheit. I need a formula that I can insert the two measured values into and get the degree of saturation of my brine. I can't find a formula. I'm not sure a formula exists, but I can't understand why not. There are charts to adjust SG for temperature, and Hydrometers scaled with degree of saturation, called by various names like Brinometer, salometer, salinometer and such, but I don't have one of those. My hydrometer just measures specific gravity and is calibrated at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can you help me? Am I even posting in the right place?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, that's certainly NOT a mathematics problem! Not until you have the correct formula. This might help:
http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Specific_gravity.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, and I'll take my question to chemistry and see what happens there.

Generally speaking there are no other formulae than best fits to experimental data. Check if you can locate "Densities of aqueous solutions of inorganic substances" by Söhnel and Novotný, published by Elsevier in 1985. Hopefully that's the book I am thinking about, my notes are not clear :frown: and I am not going to drive 15 miles just to check my Uni library (even if I know where the book stands). Honestly, I am sure they have formulae for densities vs temp, not sure if they have formulae for solubility.

1. What is the degree of saturation of a salt solution?

The degree of saturation of a salt solution refers to the amount of salt that has been dissolved in a given amount of water. It is usually expressed as a percentage, with 100% being a fully saturated solution where no more salt can be dissolved.

2. How do you determine the degree of saturation of a salt solution?

The degree of saturation can be determined by measuring the mass of the salt and the volume of the water, and then calculating the ratio of the two. This can also be determined by using a refractometer, which measures the refractive index of the solution, as the degree of saturation is directly related to the refractive index.

3. Why is the degree of saturation important in salt solutions?

The degree of saturation is important in salt solutions because it affects the solubility and properties of the solution. A highly saturated solution may have different physical and chemical properties compared to a less saturated solution. It also affects the rate of crystallization and the potential for precipitation of the salt.

4. What factors can affect the degree of saturation in a salt solution?

The degree of saturation in a salt solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of salt being used. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the solubility of the salt, resulting in a higher degree of saturation. The presence of other solutes can also impact the degree of saturation.

5. How can the degree of saturation of a salt solution be altered?

The degree of saturation of a salt solution can be altered by adding or removing salt, changing the temperature or pressure, or by diluting the solution with more water. The degree of saturation can also be altered by mixing two solutions with different degrees of saturation, which can result in a solution with a different degree of saturation than either of the original solutions.