How we get cold and how to avoid it

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary, people who are prone to catching colds should try to expose their body to the cold every day to help prevent the virus from taking hold.
rootX
For past few years/for all my life I have found that I realize I have cold only when I wake up (in the morning time). It comes all of sudden. I never successfully pinned down what caused it. I usually blame the things that I ate in my dinner.

I am again in standard cycle. I woke up and discovered my throat hurts a bit. Now, I know I would wake up tomorrow finding that it hurts more ... And, I always start wearing lots of warm clothes once it starts... sometimes I get out of it before it gets serious and once a year it wins.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can always tell now if I'm getting sick because my legs start to ache about a day before I feel any other symptoms.

I don't know what measures may help to reduce the degree of illness once exposed, but I think the easiest way to avoid getting sick is to be aware of what you're touching during the cold and flu season. For example, grocery carts are an obvious source of disease transmission. And it was found that the fold-down trays in airplanes is another one. Most people worry about the recycled air, but according to at least one study, the trays are the real culprits. A fellow air traveler and medical doctor told me about that one.

Obviously other people coughing or sneezing are sources of exposure.

One of the things that really stinks about my wife's job [medical worker] is that she gets exposed to everything!

rootX said:
For past few years/for all my life I have found that I realize I have cold only when I wake up (in the morning time). It comes all of sudden. I never successfully pinned down what caused it. I usually blame the things that I ate in my dinner.
I'm confused, are you saying you often wake up sneezing or with a stuffy nose? That would be allergies.

Evo said:
I'm confused, are you saying you often wake up sneezing or with a stuffy nose? That would be allergies.

Yep but not extreme. I find I am sick mostly during morning time when I wake up. I think some people start feeling sick during lunch time.

rootX said:
Yep but not extreme. I find I am sick mostly during morning time when I wake up. I think some people start feeling sick during lunch time.
I wake up sneezing and with a stuffy nose quite often due to allergies.

rootX said:

I am again in standard cycle. I woke up and discovered my throat hurts a bit. Now, I know I would wake up tomorrow finding that it hurts more ... And, I always start wearing lots of warm clothes once it starts... sometimes I get out of it before it gets serious and once a year it wins.

I'm the same way. In the morning, I will wake up with the back of my throat being dry. When that happens, I know I am going to have a cold.

A cold is a virus. You don't get it from going inside a warm room to outside in the rain and back inside, or what you ate last night, etc.. You have to catch it from someone/something that carries the virus.

If you expose your body to low temperatures, your body redirects blood flow from the exposd body parts like the nose. This compromizes the immune system there a bit which can lead to the cold virus to get into your body more easily.

The best defense against cold is actually to expose your body a bit to the cold every day. This has two important effects. Your body gets used to colder temperatures and then you don't get an exaggerated response (very cold hands, feet and nose).

Also, you are likely to expose your body to virusses when they are present at low concentrations in the air and build up some immunity well before someone sneezes in your face.

What causes us to get cold?

Cold temperatures can cause our body temperature to drop, causing us to feel cold. Our body also responds to viruses and bacteria by producing a fever, which can make us feel cold.

What are some common ways to get cold?

Exposure to cold weather, touching surfaces or objects that are cold, and not dressing appropriately for the weather can all lead to feeling cold.

How can I avoid getting cold?

Dressing appropriately for the weather, staying indoors during cold weather, and avoiding contact with sick individuals are all ways to help avoid getting cold.

Is it better to bundle up when it's cold?

Yes, it is important to dress in layers and wear warm clothing when it's cold. This helps to trap heat and keep your body temperature at a comfortable level.

Can I catch a cold from being cold?

No, being cold does not directly cause a cold. However, being in cold weather can weaken your immune system, making you more susceptible to catching a cold virus.