Understanding Limits: Common Mistakes and How to Find Bounds

Mark44, sorry for misunderstanding again. Yes I understand all of that, but how will I "show" or "prove" that. Aren't there any calculations?Thanks in advance.Yes, there is a way to show that the limit is 0, but it's not a simple calculation. The proof involves the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, and is beyond the scope of this conversation.
Дьявол

Homework Statement

Hello! I got few questions, about limits.
º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})=1[/tex]
If I take values for x close to zero I get:
f(x)=sinx/x
f(0.1)=0.017453283
f(0.01)=0.017453292
as I can see it is not even close to 1.
What is the problem? Where I am doing wrong?

º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex]
Now, for all integers I agree that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex] (thanks to HallsofIvy for [itex]\infty[/itex]), but what for 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ?
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=\frac{1}{1/4}=4[/tex] and not 0 ?

º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{\frac{1}{x}})[/tex]
How will I find the bound of the expression above?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{\frac{1}{x}})[/tex]
I understand that x<0 (so the values for x are tending to 0 from the left side), and
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=0[/tex]

For example, I know how to find the bound for:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})[/tex]
D=R\{2}
xn>2
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=2[/tex]
[tex]x_n-2>0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n-2)=0[/tex]
so that:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{x_n}{x_n-2})=\frac{2}{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(2-x_n)}=+\infty[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Дьявол said:

Homework Statement

Hello! I got few questions, about limits.
º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})=1[/tex]
If I take values for x close to zero I get:
f(x)=sinx/x
f(0.1)=0.017453283
f(0.01)=0.017453292
as I can see it is not even close to 1.
What is the problem? Where I am doing wrong?
Are you using a calculator to do these? If so, I think your calculator is in degree mode. It needs to be in radian mode. As the values of x get smaller, the value of your expression will get closer to 1.
Дьявол said:
º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex]
Now, for all integers I agree that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex] (thanks to HallsofIvy for [itex]\infty[/itex]), but what for 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ?
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=\frac{1}{1/4}=4[/tex] and not 0 ?
The limit is for x growing very large, so you shouldn't concern yourself with small values of x. On the other hand,
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(\frac{1}{x})=\infty[/tex]
which is more related to what you're doing with 1/2, 1/3, and so on.
Дьявол said:
How will I find the bound of the expression above?
As x approaches 0 from the negative side, 1/x approaches neg. infinity, so e^(1/x) approaches 0. Do you need more explanation than that?
Дьявол said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that x<0 (so the values for x are tending to 0 from the left side), and
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=0[/tex]

For example, I know how to find the bound for:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})[/tex]
D=R\{2}
xn>2
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=2[/tex]
[tex]x_n-2>0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n-2)=0[/tex]
so that:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{x_n}{x_n-2})=\frac{2}{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(2-x_n)}=+\infty[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the post Mark44.

Yes, I was using calculator in degree mode. Now with radian mode everything is all right.

For the second one. Sorry, I wasn't so clear. I was learning about the number "e". So for one task (example):
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})=\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})^{(x-3)+3}=\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^t*\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^3=e*(1+0)^3=e[/tex]
As we can see they put [tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{t})=0[/tex]. How is this possible? What about for t=1/2,1/3,1/4 ? It wouldn't be zero in that case.

Mark44 said:
As x approaches 0 from the negative side, 1/x approaches neg. infinity, so e^(1/x) approaches 0. Do you need more explanation than that?
Mark44, sorry for misunderstanding again. Yes I understand all of that, but how will I "show" or "prove" that. Aren't there any calculations?
Thanks in advance.

Дьявол said:
Thanks for the post Mark44.

Yes, I was using calculator in degree mode. Now with radian mode everything is all right.

For the second one. Sorry, I wasn't so clear. I was learning about the number "e". So for one task (example):
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})=\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})^{(x-3)+3}=\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^t*\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^3=e*(1+0)^3=e[/tex]
For your first limit above, I think you are missing an exponent of x. In other words, I think it should be:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})^x[/tex]
Now I think I understand what you're saying. The first limit was as x approached infinity and involved an expression with (x - 3). They substituted t = x - 3 and changed the limit variable from x to t (as x gets very large, so does t).

In the third limit expression (before they took the limit), there are two factors:
[tex]}(1+\frac{1}{t})^t[/tex] and
[tex]}(1+\frac{1}{t})^3[/tex].
The second one is straightforward to evaluate in the limit, and turns out to be just 1. If you multiply it out before taking the limit, you have 1 + 3*1/t + 3*1/t^2 + 1/t^3, which approaches 1 as t gets large.

The first one is more tricky, and you can't just say that 1/t approaches 0 as t gets large. There are two competing effects going on: the base, 1 + 1/t, is getting closer to 1, but the exponent t is getting larger. The net effect is that (1 + 1/t)^t approaches the number e as t gets large. If I recall correctly, one of the definitions of e is precisely this limit.

Дьявол said:
As we can see they put [tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{t})=0[/tex]. How is this possible? What about for t=1/2,1/3,1/4 ? It wouldn't be zero in that case.

Дьявол said:
Mark44, sorry for misunderstanding again. Yes I understand all of that, but how will I "show" or "prove" that. Aren't there any calculations?
Thanks in advance.

Now I understand. I misjudged [itex]\infty[/itex].

But for [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{1/x})[/tex], I need to "show", "explain" the result of the limit. How will I do that?

Regards.

For x very close to 0, but negative, say -0.00001, 1/x is -100000, a very large negative number. What is e-100000? what is e any very large negative number?

Thanks for the post. It definitely will tend to zero.

And what about [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(\frac{1}{1+e^{1/x}})[/tex]?

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(e^{1/x})=\infty[/tex] ?

For the first one, as x approaches 0 (from the right), 1/x grows without bound (approaches infinity), so 1 + 1/x also grows without bound, which makes the fraction approach 0.

For the second, that's the right value.

1. What are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input approaches a certain value (known as the limit point). In other words, it is the value that a function or sequence "gets close to" as the input gets closer and closer to the limit point.

2. What are some common mistakes when finding limits?

One common mistake when finding limits is assuming that a function is continuous and using direct substitution to find the limit. This may not always be accurate as some functions may have discontinuities at the limit point. Another common mistake is forgetting to consider the behavior of the function on both sides of the limit point.

3. How do you find the bounds of a limit?

To find the bounds of a limit, you can use the squeeze theorem or the comparison theorem. The squeeze theorem states that if a function is squeezed between two other functions that approach the same limit, then the function itself must also approach that limit. The comparison theorem states that if a function is always less than or greater than another function that approaches a limit, then the first function must also approach that same limit.

4. What are some strategies for understanding limits?

To understand limits, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra, functions, and graphs. It is also helpful to practice with various types of functions and limit problems. Additionally, understanding the concepts of continuity and differentiability can aid in understanding limits.

5. How do limits relate to real-world applications?

Limits have various real-world applications, such as in calculating rates of change, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and in understanding the behavior of a system as a variable approaches a certain value. For example, limits are used in physics to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, and in economics to determine the optimal production level for a company.