Question on spectroscopic notation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a graded quiz and the attempt at solving it. The problem asks about the degeneracy of a certain level and for the values of the appropriate quantum numbers for each degenerate member. The solution includes a table with the values and a question about the correctness of the solution. The conversation also includes a discussion about translating between quantum numbers and spectroscopic notation.
PatF

Homework Statement

This is a problem that was on a quiz. The quiz has already been graded and handed back and the faculty member graded very gently. (This means I passed when I think should not have.) I have thought about the answer I gave at the time and it was pretty bad. My current answer is below. Tell me if it right/wrong/stupefyingly boneheaded.

Q: "The valence electron of the Na atom is at the 52D5/2 level. Is this level degenerate? If so, how many folds? Give the values of all the appropriate quantum numbers for each degenerate member. Exhibit these values in tabular form with one line for each degenerate member."

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The above notation is spectroscopic notation telling me that the principal quantum number is 5 and the orbital angular momentum number is 2. Therefore, spin must be 1/2 since we have the subscript 5/2. In this configuration, we could have mj equal to -5/2, -3/2,-1/2,1/2,3/2,5/2.

So, my answer should be:

A) The level is degenerate.
B) There are 6 folds.
C) The table would look as follows:

n l mj s
5 2 -5/2 1/2
5 2 -3/2 1/2
5 2 -1/2 1/2
5 2 1/2 1/2
5 2 3/2 1/2
5 2 5/2 1/2

Is the above right or wrong?

Does anyone have a good reference for translating between quantum numbers - which I think I understand - and spectroscopic notation which is a lot more confusing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
PatF said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem that was on a quiz. The quiz has already been graded and handed back and the faculty member graded very gently. (This means I passed when I think should not have.) I have thought about the answer I gave at the time and it was pretty bad. My current answer is below. Tell me if it right/wrong/stupefyingly boneheaded.

Q: "The valence electron of the Na atom is at the 52D5/2 level. Is this level degenerate? If so, how many folds? Give the values of all the appropriate quantum numbers for each degenerate member. Exhibit these values in tabular form with one line for each degenerate member."

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The above notation is spectroscopic notation telling me that the principal quantum number is 5 and the orbital angular momentum number is 2. Therefore, spin must be 1/2 since we have the subscript 5/2.

You don't have to deduce the spin since
the superscript "2" of the spectroscopic notation [itex]{}^2D_{5/2}[/itex] tells you that the spin is
[tex]
2S+1=2\;,
[/tex]
I.e.,
[tex]
S=1/2
[/tex]

In this configuration, we could have mj equal to -5/2, -3/2,-1/2,1/2,3/2,5/2.

So, my answer should be:

A) The level is degenerate.
B) There are 6 folds.
C) The table would look as follows:

n l mj s
5 2 -5/2 1/2
5 2 -3/2 1/2
5 2 -1/2 1/2
5 2 1/2 1/2
5 2 3/2 1/2
5 2 5/2 1/2

Is the above right or wrong?

Does anyone have a good reference for translating between quantum numbers - which I think I understand - and spectroscopic notation which is a lot more confusing?

The spectroscopic notation and the quantum numbers are related by
[tex]
{}^{(2S+1)}{\mathcal{L}}_J\;,
[/tex]
where
[itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is S or P or D or F or G etc
depending on whether the angular momentum quantum number
L is 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 etc, respectively

1. What is spectroscopic notation?

Spectroscopic notation is a system used to represent the energy levels and electronic states of atoms and molecules. It consists of a combination of letters and numbers that indicate the energy level, orbital angular momentum, and total angular momentum of an electron.

2. How is spectroscopic notation written?

Spectroscopic notation is written in the form of n2S+1LJ, where n represents the principal quantum number, S represents the spin quantum number, L represents the orbital angular momentum quantum number, and J represents the total angular momentum quantum number.

3. What is the purpose of spectroscopic notation?

The purpose of spectroscopic notation is to provide a concise and standardized way to represent the complex energy levels and electronic states of atoms and molecules. It allows scientists to easily communicate and compare data related to these energy levels and states.

4. How is spectroscopic notation used in spectroscopy?

Spectroscopic notation is used in spectroscopy to identify the different energy levels and electronic transitions of atoms and molecules. By analyzing the spectral lines produced by these transitions, scientists can gain information about the structure and behavior of the atoms and molecules being studied.

5. Can spectroscopic notation be used for all atoms and molecules?

Yes, spectroscopic notation can be used for all atoms and molecules. However, for more complex molecules, the notation may become more complicated and may require additional subscripts or superscripts to represent all of the possible electronic states and transitions.