Beta+ Decay in Z>N Nuclei: Pauli Term Explanation

In summary, we are seeing a pattern of decay that is not explained by the Pauli Term of Weizsaecker formula.
arivero
Gold Member
I have just noticed that the nuclei with Z slightly greater than N have a peculiar pattern of b+ decay. Do someone know if this is justified from the Pauli Term of Weizsaecker formula?

Just I hope I have not found another unknown phenomena :-)

[EDITED:] The phenomena is more apparent for Z=N+1, but just for these nuclei the Pauli Term [tex]{(N-Z)^2\over A}[/tex] is zero, and only the EM term [tex]Z^2/A^{1/3}[/tex] contributes to decay energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
I have just noticed that the nuclei with Z slightly greater than N have a peculiar pattern of b+ decay. Do someone know if this is justified from the Pauli Term of Weizsaecker formula?

Just I hope I have not found another unknown phenomena :-)

[EDITED:] The phenomena is more apparent for Z=N+1, but just for these nuclei the Pauli Term [tex]{(N-Z)^2\over A}[/tex] is zero, and only the EM term [tex]Z^2/A^{1/3}[/tex] contributes to decay energy.

What is peculiar about what you see?

Well, for instance if you plot log(energy) vs log(halflife) you will notice that the data points adjust to two clearly distinct slopes.

Or, if you plot log(halflife), or halflife directly, versus atomic number A, you can notice two different groupings, depending of Z being greater or smaller than N. One of them does not present dependence on A, but the other clearly depends on A (or Z or N if you prefer).

Can you post the graphs or a link to them?

I'll try to upload some plot tomorrow Monday from the fac.

I think I could cope with the existence of a dependence Energy(AtomicNumber) for Z=N+1 even if the EM term does not fit well, because the dropplet model has another terms, such as [tex]Z^2 A^{1/3}[/tex], that could take responsability for this.

I am more intrigued about the difference in the dependence HalfLife(Energy) depending if the beta decay occurs for Z>=N or Z<N, ie, if the decaying proton goes to a lower neutron shell or to an upper one. It is not unexpected, but I would like to heard if people is usually able to get some properties of beta decay from this. Of course, the first step is to know if textbooks report this difference.

Here are the plots

Hoping moderator approval, here are the plots I was speaking about. The second one, bpluslogT(A).jpg , shows decay time versus mass number for all the beta rays with intensity greater than 50%. The first one show log(E) versus Log(T), and the lower cluster corresponds very well to the hiperbole in the former plot.

I should say we are seeing the typical clusterings depending on if the transition is superallowed, allowed, etcetera... (a senior has been kind enough to partly confirm this). But still, it is impressive.

Attachments

• bpluslogTlogE.jpg
    bpluslogTlogE.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 478
  • bpluslogT(A).jpg
    bpluslogT(A).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 365

1. What is Beta+ Decay?

Beta+ Decay, also known as positron emission, is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton in the nucleus of an atom is converted into a neutron, resulting in the emission of a positron (a positively charged particle) and a neutrino.

2. What is the significance of the Pauli term in Beta+ Decay?

The Pauli term in Beta+ Decay refers to the repulsive force between two protons in the nucleus. This term is crucial in explaining why Beta+ Decay occurs in Z>N nuclei, as it counteracts the electrostatic force between the positively charged protons.

3. How does the Pauli term contribute to the stability of the nucleus?

The Pauli term contributes to the stability of the nucleus by limiting the number of protons that can occupy the same quantum state. This leads to a more stable configuration of the nucleus, as it prevents a buildup of too many protons in a small space.

4. Can you explain the role of the Pauli exclusion principle in Beta+ Decay?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. In Beta+ Decay, this principle plays a crucial role in determining which particles can be emitted from the nucleus, as it restricts the available quantum states for the protons and neutrons.

5. How does the Pauli term impact the rate of Beta+ Decay?

The Pauli term has a significant impact on the rate of Beta+ Decay, as it affects the probability of a proton converting into a neutron. The higher the repulsive force between protons, the lower the probability of Beta+ Decay occurring. This explains why Beta+ Decay is less common in Z>N nuclei compared to ZN nuclei due to the increased number of protons.