Gravimetric Analysis, Volatilization

• Thread starter Maharg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, gravimetric analysis is a quantitative method used in analytical chemistry to determine the amount of a substance in a sample. It works by isolating a specific substance and determining its mass through a series of chemical reactions. Volatilization is the conversion of a substance from a solid to a gaseous form, often used in gravimetric analysis. The method has high precision and can be used in various industries such as environmental, pharmaceutical, and food. It is also commonly used in research and quality control.
Maharg

Homework Statement

Consider an unknown solid containing BaCl2. 2H2O (MW = 244.26296). When the unknown is heated to 160 °C for 1 h, the water of crystallization is driven off:

BaCl2.2H2O(s) ---> BaCl2(s)+ 2 H2O(g)

A sample originally weighing 1.9226 g weighed 1.5647 g after heating. Calculate the weight percent of Ba (MW=137.327) in the original sample. BaCl2: MW=208.2324; H2O: MW=18.0153

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm missing something with the water, but I'm not sure how to work it in.

I figured out mol of BaCl2*2H20
1.9226 g / 244.26296 g/mol = 7.8710 mmol

Calculated moles of BaCl2
1.5647 g/208.2324 g/mol = 7.514 mmol

Converted this to moles Ba

7.514 mmol * 137.327 g/mol = 1.0319026 g

Divided this by original weight to obtain w/w %

1.0319 g/1.9226 g = 53.67 %

This is not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already know the compound's composition, and you want to find the percent Barium in the sample, was the sample also wet with more than just water of crystalization? If it only had the water of crystalization, then you need none of the experiemental weighings. Just use formula weights of the compound.

You might have misworded your question, so I will take a thought path according to this idea. After heating, you only have weight of DRY, no water, BaCl2.
Percent BaCl2 = (1.5647g)*100/(1.9226g).

Now, can you simply find percent Ba in BaCl2 and finish your question?

That question is exactly word for word from the book.

Based on post #3, I also suggest you calculate the theoretical percent water of crystalization to your experimentally determined loss of mass from your sample.

Seems to me like there is something wrong with the question.

Unknow solid seems to be suggesting it is a mixture containing hydrated barium chloride and something else.

Heated sample lost 0.3579 g. Assuming it lost only water, that was 0.01987 moles of water. Assuming all water was from hydrated barium chloride, that means 9.933x10-3 moles of chloride. That in turn means 2.426 g of hydrated chloride, more than initial mass.

I have no idea what other assumptions can be made. If sample lost water and something else, amount of barium chloride can be anything.

I can be missing something, but I have no idea what else can be tried.

One thing I was just thinking. Would amount of Ba always be the same in the total sample because of moles?

Does it make sense to just take MW Ba/MW BaCl2*2H2O = 137.327/244.26296 = 56.22%

Maharg said:
Would amount of Ba always be the same in the total sample because of moles?

In the pure dihydrate of barium chloride - yes. But you are not told it's a pure substance, quite the opposite - you are told it is "unknown soild containing". That suggests other compounds are present as well.

1. What is gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is a quantitative method used in analytical chemistry to determine the amount of a substance present in a sample. It involves the separation and weighing of a precipitate, which is the solid form of a substance that is formed when two solutions are mixed together.

2. How does gravimetric analysis work?

Gravimetric analysis works by isolating a specific substance from a sample and determining its mass. This is done through a series of chemical reactions that result in the formation of a solid precipitate. The precipitate is then filtered, dried, and weighed to determine its mass, which can be used to calculate the amount of the substance originally present in the sample.

3. What is volatilization in gravimetric analysis?

Volatilization in gravimetric analysis refers to the process of converting a substance from a solid form to a gaseous form. This is often done by heating the sample in the presence of a strong acid or base, which causes the substance to vaporize. The resulting gas can then be collected and weighed to determine the amount of the substance present in the sample.

4. What are the advantages of gravimetric analysis?

One of the main advantages of gravimetric analysis is its high precision and accuracy. This method is also relatively simple and can be used to analyze a wide range of substances. Additionally, gravimetric analysis does not require expensive equipment and can be performed in most laboratory settings.

5. What are some common applications of gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is commonly used in environmental and pharmaceutical industries to determine the amount of pollutants or active ingredients present in a sample. It is also used in the food industry to measure the amount of additives or contaminants in a product. Additionally, gravimetric analysis is often used in research and quality control to determine the purity and composition of substances.