Need some help answering this problem thanks

• Thread starter nsingh947
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the collision of two cars with different masses and speeds. The task is to calculate the amount of kinetic energy lost in the collision, taking into account the conservation of momentum and the change in kinetic energy when the two cars stick together after impact.
nsingh947
hi just wondering how you would solve this problem

A 3 kg toy car with a speed of 6 m/s collides head on with a 2kg car traveling in the opposite direction with a speed of 4 m/s. If the cars are locked together after the collision with a speed of 2 m/s, how much kinetic energy is lost?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the kinetic energies before impact. Then find the kinetic energy when the two stick together after impact. Find the difference.

Momentum is conserved, and kinetic energy is easy to calculate for each object. Incidentally, the problem is overspecified. They could have asked you to calculate the final speed from the masses and initial speeds.

1. How can I solve this problem?

To solve a problem, it is important to first understand the problem and its underlying factors. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and brainstorm potential solutions. Finally, evaluate and test these solutions to determine the most effective one.

2. What are some strategies for problem solving?

Some strategies for problem solving include identifying the root cause of the problem, brainstorming and considering all possible solutions, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking advice or assistance from others, and being open to trying new approaches.

3. How can I improve my problem solving skills?

Problem solving skills can be improved through practice and experience. It is also helpful to continuously learn and gather new information, as well as to challenge yourself with new and complex problems. Reflecting on past problem solving experiences and seeking feedback can also help improve skills.

4. What should I do if I can't solve the problem on my own?

If you are struggling to solve a problem on your own, it can be helpful to seek assistance from others. This could include asking for advice or input from colleagues, consulting with experts in the field, or seeking out additional resources and information.

5. How can I stay motivated while trying to solve a difficult problem?

Solving a difficult problem can be challenging and may require persistence and determination. To stay motivated, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, achievable goals, take breaks when needed, and remind yourself of the potential benefits and rewards of finding a solution. Seeking support and encouragement from others can also help keep motivation high.