Torque on current loop

In summary, the problem involves a wood cylinder with a mass of 0.250 kg and length of 0.100 m, wrapped with 10 turns of wire and released on an inclined plane at an angle theta. The plane of the wire coil is parallel to the incline plane and there is a vertical uniform magnetic field of 0.5T. The question asks for the least current, i, through the coil that will prevent the cylinder from rolling down the plane. Using the equations force = NiL x B and torque = μmg, the answer is found to be 2.45A.
dlslhc

Homework Statement

A wood cylinder of mass m = 0.250 kg and length L = 0.100 m with N =10 turns of wire wrapped around it longitudinally, so that the plane of the wire coil contains the long axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is released on a plane inclined at an angle theta to the horizontal, with the plane of the coil parallel to the incline plane. If there is a vertical uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.5T, what is the least current i through the coil that keeps the cylinder from rolling down the plane?

Homework Equations

force = NiL x B

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 2.45A, i try to find all the forces and solve when torque is zero, but i can't elimate the sin theta or cos theta thing. Please help, thankyou.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you worked out so far? It might be possible for somebody to spot your error (if any) that way.

p.s. if it helps, you can copy-and-paste this theta symbol: θ

2NiLBr sinθ = μmgr cosθ
mgsinθ = μmg cosθ

the answer is 2.45 if g = 9.8, i used 10 before lol, correct now?

Last edited:
Looks good (I presume you are able to eliminate the sinθ & cosθ now). :smile:

What is torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop is the rotational force experienced by an electrically charged loop when placed in a magnetic field and carrying an electric current.

How is torque on a current loop calculated?

The formula for calculating torque on a current loop is given by the product of the magnetic field strength, the current flowing through the loop, and the sine of the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current loop's normal vector.

What factors affect the torque on a current loop?

The torque on a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector of the loop.

Can the torque on a current loop be zero?

Yes, the torque on a current loop can be zero if the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector of the loop is either 0 degrees or 180 degrees. In these cases, the sine of the angle is 0, resulting in no torque being exerted on the loop.

What is the direction of torque on a current loop?

The direction of torque on a current loop is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the current loop's normal vector. The direction can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and the direction of the palm indicates the direction of the torque.