Troubleshooting Accelerometer Data: Plotting and Interpreting Results

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an accelerometer on an Amigobot and the resulting data that is collected. The data shows an increase and decrease in acceleration as the Amigobot is moved 1 meter forward. The issue being discussed is the presence of noise in the data and the difficulty in accurately integrating the area under the data's curve. The conversation also mentions the expected shape of the data, resembling a trapezoid, and questions why the data is jumping up and down.
math111
What I am trying to do:
I am placing my accelerometer [parallax BS2] ontop of my amigobot. I move the amigobot 1 meter foward with the acceleromter ontop while taking data for x and y direction. I then read the data to my computer and plot it.

Data:
The plot shows the data jumping up and down as time increasing and then it begins to decrease until it hits 0 again.

What I know :
Acceleration in this case should be like a trapezoid going up based on the increase in velocity and then reaching a constsant velocity(accell is 0) and then coming back down to 0 when the amigobot reaches 1 Meter. It would be pretty difficult to integrate the area underneath this because it looks like there is a lot of noise invlove and that could be affecting it.

Issue: I am not sure why my data is jumping up and down. I never used an accelerometer before so this is proving the textbook stuff right but I am not in this situation I am having.

Thank you if anyone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
math111 said:
The plot shows the data jumping up and down as time increasing and then it begins to decrease until it hits 0 again.
So it accelerates, decelerates and ends up at zero acceleration? Isn't that how you move it?

math111 said:
Acceleration in this case should be like a trapezoid going up based on the increase in velocity and then reaching a constsant velocity(accell is 0) and then coming back down to 0
So first it should be 0 and then come down to 0?

A.T. said:
So it accelerates, decelerates and ends up at zero acceleration? Isn't that how you move it?

So first it should be 0 and then come down to 0?

Here is my data if it helps. I am just concerned about the up and down. I did an initial without movement and then 3 runs.(from starting at 0 to 1 meter)

Attachments

• AMOIGOBOT_DATA_100909_01.xls
    91.5 KB · Views: 189

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It works by measuring the force of acceleration on a small mass inside the device and converting it into an electrical signal.

2. What are some common applications of accelerometers?

Accelerometers are commonly used in devices such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to detect motion and orientation. They are also used in vehicles for airbag deployment and in industrial machinery for monitoring vibration.

3. How do I calibrate an accelerometer?

Calibration of an accelerometer involves setting the device to a known reference point, such as gravity, to ensure accurate measurements. This can be done using specialized software or by following specific instructions provided by the manufacturer.

4. Can an accelerometer measure rotation?

No, an accelerometer only measures linear acceleration. To measure rotation, a gyroscope is needed, which measures angular velocity.

5. What are some common sources of error in accelerometer measurements?

Some common sources of error in accelerometer measurements include temperature changes, electromagnetic interference, and device orientation. It is important to properly calibrate and account for these factors to ensure accurate results.