What is the meaning of Vbe and Vce in a transistor amplifier?

In summary, Bob explains that the base and emitter voltages are the barrier potential and the collector and emitter voltages are the bias potential. The voltage drop across a resistor is due to the depletion region. In forward bias, the depletion region would have vanished, but there would still be a voltage drop.
sudar_dhoni
Transistor AMPLifier HelP !

i will start from the first
please clarify my doubts
i will post my other doubts as and when i get replies and answers

my first doubt is
what is meaning of Vbe base emitter voltage
and also Vce collector emitter voltage
what is the actual meaning of these 2 voltages
i can't visualize
also are these voltages permanently there

Physics news on Phys.org

Bob S said:
See the thumbnail in post #9 in thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=356154
Bob S

i can't understand what is voltage between base and emitter
also the voltage between collector and emitter
i don't understand the meaning of those two words
voltage means a driving force of potential difference
what is it here i want to know the physical meaning behind it

In this thumbnail
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21960&d=1258770808
the plot at the bottom of the thumbnail is voltage (vertical) vs. time (horizontal). The green curve is the base (input) voltage, red is the emitter voltage, and black is the collector voltage. Vbe means base-emitter voltage, and Vce means collector-emitter voltage. Note in the circuit diagram that the collector current is nearly exactly the same as the emitter current (both across a 500-ohm resistor), and the base current is very small.
Bob S

Bob S said:
In this thumbnail
the plot at the bottom of the thumbnail is voltage (vertical) vs. time (horizontal). The green curve is the base (input) voltage, red is the emitter voltage, and black is the collector voltage. Vbe means base-emitter voltage, and Vce means collector-emitter voltage. Note in the circuit diagram that the collector current is nearly exactly the same as the emitter current (both across a 500-ohm resistor), and the base current is very small.
Bob S

1) i asked what is the physical meaning behind Vbe and Vce
is it the barrier potential

2) if so we say that in CB junction which is reversed bias resistance is large
but actually current flows easily into the collector
then how can we say that resistance of collector is large

3) the depletion region is responsible for the voltage drop in diode
in forward bias also there exists voltage drop according to my book
but in forward bias the depletion region would have vanished,then how will there be voltage drop.
BOB S could u please give ur yahoomail id we'll chat there
i have a lot of doubts please Sir
All my professors and students are teasing me if i ask doubts
could u please help me because u r the one who is responding to my doubts instantly

sudar_dhoni said:
1) i asked what is the physical meaning behind Vbe and Vce
is it the barrier potential
Vce is the driving potential for the amplifier.
Vbe is the bias potential across the base-emitter junction.

Both are applied to the device, and are not inherent properties of the transistor.

Hi Sudar-
I will try to answer your questions. First, study the figure
Power supply V1 is 12 volts. The base bias voltage is 1/3 of 12 volts, or 4 volts. So the emitter voltage is 0.6 volts less, or 3.4 volts. So the emitter current is 3.4 volts over 500 ohms. or 6.8 milliamps. The collector current is also about 6.8 milliamps, so the voltage drop across R2 is about 3.4 volts. So the collector voltage is 12V - 3.4V = 8.6V. Power supply V2 is ac coupled to the base. It has a 1 volt (peak) 500 Hz sinewave on it, and on the base. In this configuration, the transistor is an emitter follower, so all three sine waves (base, emitter, collector) are about 1 volt peak. I hope this helps.
Bob S

Bob S said:
Hi Sudar-
I will try to answer your questions. First, study the figure
Power supply V1 is 12 volts. The base bias voltage is 1/3 of 12 volts, or 4 volts. So the emitter voltage is 0.6 volts less, or 3.4 volts. So the emitter current is 3.4 volts over 500 ohms. or 6.8 milliamps. The collector current is also about 6.8 milliamps, so the voltage drop across R2 is about 3.4 volts. So the collector voltage is 12V - 3.4V = 8.6V. Power supply V2 is ac coupled to the base. It has a 1 volt (peak) 500 Hz sinewave on it, and on the base. In this configuration, the transistor is an emitter follower, so all three sine waves (base, emitter, collector) are about 1 volt peak. I hope this helps.
Bob S

1) i can't understand the basics
i want to know what do u mean by voltage between emitter and base and voltage between collector and base
is it the barrier voltage ?
i.e the barrier potential at the juctions EB an CB?
the depletion region is responsible for the voltage drop in diode
in forward bias also there exists voltage drop according to my book
but in forward bias the depletion region would have vanished,then how will there be voltage drop.

2)also i can't understand voltage divider bias
i have posted the circuit diagram
i have many doubts there about how the voltage drop between R1 and R2 gives forward bias to the base emitter
also which current's voltage is getting dropped there
in my diagram its showing collector current
but collector current itself arises from the emitter
also u have not biased the emitter till now then how did u get Ic

forward bias provided by the voltage drop of Ic
see u have not biased it and u r about to bias the emitter only from voltage drop of Ic
then where did u get that Ic from
Ic comes only after biasing EB

please BOB S answer first question 1 and then 2
if u can't understand my question please mention it i will try to ask it in a better way

Attachments

• voltage divider bias.JPG
    voltage divider bias.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

u hav good qustons. Study bk on smicndctrs.
bob s

Bob S said:
u hav good qustons. Study bk on smicndctrs.
bob s

could u please mention some good books which has answers to my question and can be downloaded for free

1. What is a transistor amplifier and how does it work?

A transistor amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses transistors to increase the amplitude of an electrical signal. It works by using the transistor's ability to control the flow of current between two terminals, which allows it to amplify the input signal.

2. What are the advantages of using a transistor amplifier?

There are several advantages of using a transistor amplifier, including its small size, low cost, and high efficiency. It also has a wide bandwidth, low distortion, and can be easily integrated with other electronic components.

3. How do I choose the right transistor amplifier for my project?

The right transistor amplifier for your project will depend on several factors, such as the required amplification level, frequency range, and power requirements. It's important to carefully consider these factors and choose an amplifier that meets your specific needs.

4. What are some common problems with transistor amplifiers?

Some common problems with transistor amplifiers include overheating, distortion, and noise. These issues can be caused by incorrect circuit design, improper component selection, or faulty components.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with my transistor amplifier?

If you are experiencing problems with your transistor amplifier, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue. These include checking for loose connections, testing individual components, and adjusting the circuit design. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace faulty components.