Galerkin method for wave equation

In summary, the person is seeking help in using Galerkin method to solve a 3-D wave equation with specific boundary conditions. They are unsure of how to choose the basis function for the solution and are looking for suggestions. They mention trying a weak form and facing difficulties due to the complexity of the problem. They ask for advice from others who may have experience with similar problems.
jvc
Hello,

I want to use Galerkin method to solve 3-D wave equation \nabla^2 u+k^2 u=0, with the following boundary conditions: at z=z_1 plane, u=g, and when x,y,z go to the infinity, u becomes 0.

My question is how to choose the basis function \phi_n for u: u=\sum \lambda_n \phi_n. As my boudary condition is a little different from the usual setting discussed in many books, I am confused of selecting basis function.

Best regards;

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as it forms a basis, I don't think it matters. So the basis functions youre used to should work here as well. I suggest using a weak form if you have Neumann boundaries.

defunc said:
As long as it forms a basis, I don't think it matters. So the basis functions youre used to should work here as well. I suggest using a weak form if you have Neumann boundaries.

Thank you for your reply!

I indeed want to solve it in the weak form. Actually, my problem is to solve wave equation (homogenuous equation) with non-homogenuous boundary conditions, maybe it is Dirichlet problem. Of course, it can be switched to non-homogeneous equation with homogenuous boundary condition.

The main difficulty I encountered is this problem is of 3-D problem, where weak form is difficult to solve: calculating gradient of 3-D function, and then calculating the inner product in the space defined are not so easy. So I need to choose simple basis function that can be easily calculated with respect to gradient and inner product.

Anyone has similar experience? Thanks a lot!

1. What is the Galerkin method for solving wave equations?

The Galerkin method is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) such as the wave equation. It involves approximating the solution to the PDE using a combination of basis functions and solving for the coefficients of these functions.

2. How does the Galerkin method differ from other numerical methods for solving wave equations?

The Galerkin method is a variational method, meaning it seeks to minimize a functional of the solution. This is different from other methods such as finite difference or finite element methods which use a discrete grid to approximate the solution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Galerkin method for wave equations?

The Galerkin method allows for a more accurate and flexible solution to the wave equation compared to other methods. It also has the advantage of being able to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions more easily.

4. What are the limitations of the Galerkin method for wave equations?

One limitation of the Galerkin method is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for larger and more complex problems. It also requires careful selection of basis functions and can be sensitive to the choice of these functions.

5. How is the Galerkin method applied in practice to solve wave equations?

In practice, the Galerkin method involves discretizing the wave equation using a finite set of basis functions, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions. The coefficients of these basis functions are then solved for using a system of equations, typically solved using a computer program. The resulting solution is then used to approximate the true solution of the wave equation.