Friction coefficient of drawer slides

In summary, the friction coefficient in drawer slides can vary greatly depending on the specific slide and surface combination. It is recommended to conduct a quick experiment to determine the coefficient for each individual combination. However, it is estimated that rolling element bearings have a coefficient of friction of 0.002. Linear bearings are available in various sizes and shapes, with some having a Teflon bushing instead of rolling elements, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.
yanikomer
Hello everyone

Do you know approximately the friction coefficient in drawer slides? I am going to use it in a robotic mechanism.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I mean... that's incredibly variable. If you have a specific slide, and you know what surface it will be sliding on, then there is a (semi-)quick little experiment you can do to find the coefficient, but the coefficient is going to be different for every single slide/surface combination.

i just want to know if there is somebody who has used these slides and known the coefficient of the friction.

You can just say "it must be about..." this is enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the friction coefficient of drawer slides?

The friction coefficient of drawer slides refers to the measure of the amount of frictional force that is present between the drawer and the slide when it is in motion.

2. How is the friction coefficient of drawer slides determined?

The friction coefficient of drawer slides is determined by conducting experiments where the force required to move the drawer along the slide is measured and compared to the weight of the drawer. This ratio is then used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the friction coefficient of drawer slides?

The friction coefficient of drawer slides can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used for the slide and the drawer, the smoothness of the surfaces, and the weight and size of the drawer.

4. Why is the friction coefficient of drawer slides important?

The friction coefficient of drawer slides is important as it determines the ease of movement of the drawer along the slide. A low friction coefficient means the drawer will slide smoothly, while a high coefficient means more force is needed to move the drawer.

5. Can the friction coefficient of drawer slides be adjusted?

Yes, the friction coefficient of drawer slides can be adjusted by using lubricants or by changing the material of the slide and the drawer to reduce the frictional force. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to maintain a low friction coefficient.