What Lies on the Other Side of Pressure ?

• Thread starter Antonio Lao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, pressure is a scalar quantity defined as force per unit area and is related to energy and volume rate of change. When discussing pressure outside of an enclosed volume, it is defined as the stress vector with isotropic conditions. For nonrelativistic ideal gas, the pressure is twice as much as it is in relativistic gas. The pressure outside of the universe is zero and this boundary can be named as the true vacuum. In quantum field theory, the vacuum is not actually empty but rather a false vacuum with ceaseless fluctuations and virtual particles. The equation of continuity for a constant density field implies a divergence-free velocity field.
Antonio Lao
What Lies on the Other Side of Pressure ?

Pressure is commonly defined as force per unit area.

[tex] P = \frac{F}{A} [/tex]

Pressure is a scalar quantity but force is a vector quantity. To make sense the equation must the scalar product of vector force and a vector which is equivalent to inverse of a vector product, [itex] r \times r [/itex].

But the concept of pressure as a scalar is clear when it is defined as the volume rate of change of energy.

[tex] P = \frac{\partial E}{\partial V} [/tex]

But if pressure is properly defined within an enclosed volume, what is the definition of pressure outside this volume?

If this volume is the universe itself, what is the pressure outside the universal volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh, actually, we define the stress vector as a limiting quantity
[tex]\vec{P}=\frac{\vec{F}}{A}[/tex]
when A goes to zero.
A fundamental assumption when introducing the pressure stress vector,
[tex]\vec{P}_{p}[/tex]
is that we have isotropic conditions.
This entails that on a given surface, the pressure stress vector can be written as:
[tex]\vec{P}_{p}=-p\vec{n}[/tex]
where p is the scalar known as pressure, and [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] is the outward normal on the surface.

For nonrelativistic ideal gas the pressure is

[tex] P = \frac{2}{3} u [/tex]

and for relativistic ideal gas such as electromagnetic radiation the pressure is

[tex] P = \frac {1}{3} u [/tex]

where [itex] u[/itex] is the total energy density of radiation.

Why there is twice as much pressure in nonrelativistic gas than it is in relativistic gas?

One thing is clear that the pressure outside of an enclosed volume is always less than the pressure inside of the volume. So what is the pressure outside of the universe? The answer is that the pressure is zero. This zero pressure can also be the cause of the universal expansion.

The boundary of the universe is then between two density values one value is always greater than zero and the other is always exactly zero. And the name for this boundary can be named as the true vacuum (a state of complete nothingness).

From quantum field theory, we have established the fact that the vacuum we are in is not really empty. It's a false vacuum with its ceaseless fluctuations and virtual particles which could hold the key to understanding the true meaning of mass in physics.

arildno said:
where p is the scalar known as pressure, and is the outward normal on the surface.

My belated thanks to your description of pressure. I have a question concerning how would constant density affect the equation of continuity?

[tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + div \left( \rho \vec{v}\right) = 0[/tex]

Hi, A.L:
I think we have talked slightly beside each other in this thread:
As far as I can see, you have been concerned with typical state equations (i.e, thermodynamical) in which the isotropic pressure is related to other important variables.
This is obviously an extremely important issue, but I'm not sufficiently into thermodynamics&relativity to offer valuable comments.

I gave the definition of pressure as an isotropic form of (normal) stress.
(Clearly, when we consider the random momentum transfer molecules impart on a surface in the normal direction (i.e, as a collision), the randomness should guarantee that there is no "preferred direction", i.e, isotropic conditions).

In the case of a constant density field, the equation of continuity implies a divergence-free (solenoidal) velocity field

arildno said:
In the case of a constant density field, the equation of continuity implies a divergence-free (solenoidal) velocity field

Thanks for your clarification.

What lies on the other side of pressure?

The other side of pressure is typically an area of lower pressure. This can be found in many different forms, such as a vacuum, a lower altitude, or a lower concentration of a substance.

Why does pressure change?

Pressure changes due to a variety of factors, including changes in temperature, volume, and the amount of gas or liquid present. These changes can cause molecules to move closer together or spread out, resulting in a change in pressure.

How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various instruments, such as barometers, manometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments measure the force exerted by a gas or liquid on a given area.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and volume. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa, as long as the temperature and amount of gas remain constant.

Can pressure be harmful?

Yes, pressure can be harmful if it exceeds certain levels. For example, high pressure can cause explosions or implosions, and low pressure can lead to hypoxia or decompression sickness. It is important to understand and control pressure in various environments to ensure safety.