Can belief in God be separate from religious beliefs?

• Thread starter Max Faust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fantasy
In summary: I know, I know, a lot of you say "I don't care what other people believe as long as they don't force it on others" ... I am not addressing you, then) and resources, and how such a situation is being used politically to keep the element of doubt alive.In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of confronting superstitious nonsense, particularly in regards to the work of Richard Dawkins. Some argue that this is a political issue and that personal beliefs should be accepted as such. Others believe that debunking fantasy ideas is important for society. The conversation also touches on the role of faith and its place in relation to science, with some arguing that faith should not be championed as equal to or better than
zomgwtf said:
No no no. I'm saying that a belief in the concept of God whatever that may be to a person is different from that persons belief in a Religion.

God and religion are not the same things.

So for instance: Catholics.

Catholics have a monotheistic belief. So they have a single god and they assign to him special godly properties and what not.

Now that monotheistic belief is vastly different from believing in most of the Holy Bible and the interpretations of this Holy Bible. Believing in God in concept is vastly different from a persons belief in religion. This is most clearly noticable in christianity... look at how many different churches there are. They all believe in the exact same concept of God though, the religious beliefs are different.

I am still not sure what you mean. Are you saying it's possible for a person to put together their own concept of a supreme being, one that requires no religious observance? If that's what you mean, it's certainly possible for that to happen, for what it's worth.