Decent paper for submission to a journal?

In summary, a decent paper for submission to a journal should be well-researched, clearly written, and properly formatted according to the guidelines of the specific journal. It should also present original and significant findings, contribute to the existing body of knowledge, and follow ethical standards in research. Additionally, the paper should have a strong introduction, well-organized sections, and a logical conclusion. Proper citations and references should be included to support the arguments and give credit to other researchers. Overall, a decent paper for submission to a journal should be well-crafted and able to make a valuable contribution to the field of study.
sutupidmath
I was wondering how do you know when you have a, what i will call, somewhat 'decent' paper to submit to an undergraduate mathematics journal for publishing?

Physics news on Phys.org
sutupidmath said:
I was wondering how do you know when you have a, what i will call, somewhat 'decent' paper to submit to an undergraduate mathematics journal for publishing?

Have your friends look at it, and if they think it's interesting then submit it.

twofish-quant said:
Have your friends look at it, and if they think it's interesting then submit it.

Not yet! I will actually have a presentation in a few days, since i am still working on it.

But it just occurred to me that, unless you cracked one of the unsolved problems or something along those lines, how do people generally decide that their work is good enough to submitted to a journal. I personally wouldn't want to submitt something and get ridiculed about it, so to speak.

My work is nothing fancy, nevertheless i believe that to some extent and in some sense, i would add, is rather original. However, i admit that besides the fact that to some degree it might be interesting for its own sake, there is nothing else to it.

sutupidmath said:
But it just occurred to me that, unless you cracked one of the unsolved problems or something along those lines, how do people generally decide that their work is good enough to submitted to a journal.

You know when you know. Figuring out when you have something interesting is part of your education.

I personally wouldn't want to submitt something and get ridiculed about it, so to speak.

That's why you should show it to a few friends first. If they can't see an embarrassing problem, then chances are that no one else will either. One thing in science and mathematics is to submit stuff that is "interesting". It's OK to be wrong if you are wrong in a new and creative way.

Are you reading the journal that you plan to submit to? If so, you'll know if your paper "fits in" or not.

If not, why not?

It's not too common for undergraduates to write and submit a paper to a journal alone. Usually you rely on a mentor or supervisor to guide your project.

If done properly, as soon as you seriously start putting time into a project (beyond preliminary background reading and the brainstorming phase), you should define what you expect to be publishable material. Of course, this changes. It's research and things don't always go the way you expect, but part of project planning is to have a vague idea of where you're going.

As an undergrad, you usually have a mentor or supervisor who can tell you at what point you have something of value. Then, once you move through the process a few times, you'll get an idea of what constitutes publishable material.

Some general rules though, are that the material needs to have a novel component to it, and it has to be of interest to the scientific community (and specifically the readership of the journal). To gauge this, you need to read the journal on a regular basis.

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you reading the journal that you plan to submit to? If so, you'll know if your paper "fits in" or not.

Choppy said:
To gauge this, you need to read the journal on a regular basis.
Great advide! Great advice, indeed!

Thanks for your replies.

Btw, where could i find a list of undergraduate journals. I tried to google a few, but i guess what i am aksing is of some journals that are not notorious for turning down peoples work. In other words, journals that do not have their standards too high.

1. What are the key components of a decent paper for submission to a journal?

A decent paper for submission to a journal typically includes an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It should also have a clear and concise title, appropriate citations and references, and figures or tables if necessary.

2. What makes a paper stand out to journal editors and reviewers?

A paper that stands out to journal editors and reviewers is one that presents novel and significant findings, is well-written and organized, and adheres to the journal's guidelines and style. Additionally, papers that address important and timely research questions and have a strong theoretical background are more likely to be accepted.

3. How important is the writing style in a paper for journal submission?

The writing style is crucial in a paper for journal submission as it communicates the research and findings effectively to the readers. A well-written paper is clear, concise, and free of grammatical and spelling errors. It should also have a logical flow and use appropriate scientific terminology.

4. Should I include any limitations or potential future directions in my paper?

Yes, it is important to acknowledge any limitations or potential future directions in your paper. This shows critical thinking and understanding of the research, and helps to provide context for the findings. However, it is important to not overemphasize limitations or make unsupported claims about future directions.

5. How can I ensure my paper is ready for submission to a journal?

To ensure your paper is ready for submission to a journal, it is important to carefully proofread and edit it for any errors or inconsistencies. You should also have colleagues or mentors review your paper for feedback and suggestions for improvement. It is also crucial to thoroughly check the journal's guidelines and formatting requirements before submitting your paper.