Archimedes Principle Quick Question

In summary, the conversation discusses determining Bob's average density given his weight in air and water. The equations of buoyancy force and density are used to solve for the volume and ultimately Bob's average density under water. The potential issue of Bob's submersion is addressed and it is determined that assuming he is fully submerged is the best approach.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

In air, Bob's weight is 687 N. In water, it is 34.7 N.

Determine Bob's average density.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct to say that (buoyancy force) + 34.7 N = 687 N?

If so then buoyancy force = (density of water)(volume)*9.81 m/s

I can solve for the volume.

Then I can use (density of Bob)(volume)(9.81 m/s) = 687 N do solve for Bob's average density.

Is that right? I just want to make sure it's okay before doing the rest of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track.

I was just kind of confused because Bob isn't necessarily all under water. If he was half submerged, wouldn't that change things?

I guess because the question doesn't specify, I should just assume Bob's entirely under water...

Yes, you should assume that. You cannot solve the problem otherwise, unless you know what percent of his volume is under water.

Okay, thank you!

What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Who was Archimedes?

Archimedes was a famous Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer who lived in the 3rd century BC. He is credited with discovering the principle that bears his name.

What is the significance of Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids, such as water. It is essential in designing ships and other floating structures, as well as understanding how objects sink or float.

How is Archimedes Principle used in real life?

Archimedes Principle is used in a variety of ways in everyday life, such as in designing ships and submarines, determining the volume and density of objects, and understanding the behavior of hot air balloons.

Can Archimedes Principle be applied to gases?

Yes, Archimedes Principle can be applied to gases as well as liquids. It states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid (or gas) that the object displaces, so it can be used to understand the behavior of objects in both types of mediums.