HDMI cable wiring schematic (what colors go where)

In summary, the standard colors used in HDMI cable wiring schematic are red, green, blue, white, and black. The red, green, and blue wires are for transmitting the primary colors of the video signal, while the white and black wires are for the audio signal. The specific positions of these wires may vary depending on the type of HDMI cable. The wires also have the purpose of transferring data between devices and carrying power to HDMI-enabled devices. It is important to follow the standard color coding for HDMI cables to ensure proper functionality, as using different colors may result in incorrect signal transmission and device damage. Additionally, the wires should be connected in a specific order, which may vary depending on the type of HDMI cable, but should follow the wiring
jaybird81
Hi, I was hoping somone on this forum could help me out. I am not an engineer (although I wish I was). I am just DBA that is dealing with a wiring nightmare. My boss bought an HDMI to VGA cable from some guy on line for hooking up a laptop to a TV. The cable comes in and of course is no good, the HDMI connector basically fell apart when I plugged it in. So I am going to try and make it work, by sodering the cables to the conector. My problem is I don't know which color goes where on the actual HDMI connector. There are 8 wires (Black, Blue, Red, Brown, White, Pink, Dark Green and Light Green). Does anyone have a diagram or a schematic so I can try and fix it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd be surprised if it works. It seems that HDMI has only digital data lines whereas vga has almost only analog ones. If there is no logic circuit in between you have probably been scammed. Cable colors can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer... and the pinning can be found online, but unless your graphics card does some very funny things it will not work.

jaybird81 said:
Hi, I was hoping somone on this forum could help me out. I am not an engineer (although I wish I was). I am just DBA that is dealing with a wiring nightmare. My boss bought an HDMI to VGA cable from some guy on line for hooking up a laptop to a TV. The cable comes in and of course is no good, the HDMI connector basically fell apart when I plugged it in. So I am going to try and make it work, by sodering the cables to the conector. My problem is I don't know which color goes where on the actual HDMI connector. There are 8 wires (Black, Blue, Red, Brown, White, Pink, Dark Green and Light Green). Does anyone have a diagram or a schematic so I can try and fix it.

First off, if it goes from VGA(out) to HDMI(in) then it would be a VGA to HDMI cable (converter) not the other way around that you stated.

Second there is no direct cable connection possible, it needs an actual converter circuit to achieve that.

So why don't you just tell us exactly what outputs are availaible on the laptop and what inputs are available on the TV and we can suggest the best option.

The laptop has VGA out and the tv has HDMI in.My boss said this cable was practically impossible to find. I appreciate all the help, like I said I am just a DBA, this stuff really isn't my thing.

Here is the HDMI pin-out: http://www.hi-fi-cables.com/hdmicomponentcables.php

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=VGA+to+HDMI" , $6.
The product description states, "Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information."

Last edited by a moderator:
pantaz said:
The product description states, "Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information."

Good catch pantaz. So this confirms what we suspected that a simple cable is not likely to work in most instances. (I've never even seen a video card that passes DVI through the VGA connector, though I guess some newer laptops might do it to save connector space).

More likely the OP will need something like a converter box such as :

http://www.zantech.com.au/converter/format/cp261h.html

or

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20081219_vga_to_hdmi_adapter.html

BTW. I'm not recommending the linked products or the stores selling them - I've never used either. Just pointing out the type of thing OP probably really needs.

Last edited:

1. What are the standard colors used in HDMI cable wiring schematic?

The standard colors used in HDMI cable wiring schematic are red, green, blue, white, and black.

2. How do I know which color wire goes where in an HDMI cable?

The red, green, and blue wires are for transmitting the primary colors of the video signal, while the white and black wires are for the audio signal. The specific positions of these wires may vary depending on the type of HDMI cable you are using.

3. What is the purpose of each wire in an HDMI cable?

The red, green, and blue wires are responsible for transmitting the video signal, while the white and black wires are for the audio signal. The wires are also used to transfer data between devices and carry power to the HDMI-enabled devices.

4. Can I use any color wire for a specific purpose in an HDMI cable?

No, it is important to follow the standard color coding for HDMI cables to ensure proper functionality. Using different colors may result in incorrect signal transmission and can damage your devices.

5. Is there a specific order in which the wires should be connected in an HDMI cable?

Yes, the wires should be connected in a specific order to ensure proper signal transmission. The exact order may vary depending on the type of HDMI cable, but it is important to follow the wiring schematic provided by the manufacturer.