Discuss College Football - Go Buckeyes!

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the football season is starting in the US. College Football is a popular topic among gamers. Some people are cheering for their team, while others are booing the opposing team. There are also people who are not into sports but are still interested in the game.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, the football season is starting in the US. Use this thread to discuss College Football, cheer your team on, boo another team, or whatever...

I shall kick this thread off by swearing my allegiance to...The Ohio State University, 2002 College Football National Champions.

Go Buckeyes ! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
As a person who has lived 18 years in the state of Nebraska and now attends University of Nebraska At Lincoln, I will be rooting on the Cornhuskers all the way and will most likely be at all of the home games excluding this week's. Its a new offense this year and hopefully it will change the Big XII so that we return to dominance.

Oh, I'm going to make it a point to boo all the other teams, so here goes...

Booo Huskies. :yuck: :yuck: You're time's over, step aside...wait, you already did ! :devil:

Not a huge fan of college football, but... Go Hawkeyes!

Paden Roder

P.S.- Mattius, this has nothing to do with this discussion, but I am in Omaha every Sunday playing in a wooden bat league for StrikeZone Omaha. I've probably seen you on the streets!

just a little fact for ya.

Yeah, when is someone goona grow up in the Big XII and maybe put up a halfway decent fight againt OU ? Not the Longhorns, they're too busy pi$$!ng in the pants to do much. Maybe if Okla State, or Texas Tech get lucky (like '02)?

And last year's Kansas State game doesn't count because...err, ummm...just 'cause.

PRodQuanta said:
Not a huge fan of college football, but... Go Hawkeyes!

Yeah, we'll see next month when we come over to whoop ya. :approve:

Damn, I'm really shooting my mouth off, aren't I ? I like it...maybe I should try it more often. :tongue:

I'm not really into sports, but just for Gokul:

Go Blue!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Though, I'm now safely south of that state, so am supposed to be cheering on the Bearcats, whatever a bearcat is. :rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:
Oh, I'm going to make it a point to boo all the other teams, so here goes...

Booo Huskies. :yuck: :yuck: You're time's over, step aside...wait, you already did ! :devil:

It's 'HUSKERS ... I hate it when people get the words wrong.

BIG RED all the way!

(I'm so glad they changed their name from "Bugeaters" to a really cool name. Much better than those nuts on the Olentangy.)

Moonbear said:
I'm not really into sports, but just for Gokul:

Go Blue!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Grrrrrrr...die die die !

Like we like to say out here : Muck Fichigan

University of Miami is going to dominate this season. Go CANES!

BobG said:
It's 'HUSKERS ... I hate it when people get the words wrong.

Out of sight - out of mind. Sorry for the screw up. I wouldn't half think about apologizing for cursing the enemy...but screwing up the name is a boo boo - my bad.

Anyway, Huskers suck ! And the name sucks too ! Buckeyes rule !

Last edited:
dduardo said:
University of Miami is going to dominate this season. Go CANES!

Yeah, like last season...oh I liked the Miami - V.Tech game...was that fun !

Gokul43201 said:
Grrrrrrr...die die die !

Like we like to say out here : Muck Fichigan

Well, I frequently thought that while living there too, but I wasn't referring to sports. :wink: I hated game days there, it took me an extra half hour to get to the lab with the traffic all the way across town. Thankfully I didn't have to be anywhere near the stadium. Though, if I wasn't in the lab, I'd take advantage and wait for the game to start, then go out and do all my shopping...very quick when the rest of the town is packed into a stadium :biggrin: ...at least as long as I got home before the game finished and the traffic got ridiculous again.

speaking of college football...having a little party here tonight for OSU Beavers...I can't remember who they are playin' though...guess I will find out soon enough!

Kerrie said:
speaking of college football...having a little party here tonight for OSU Beavers...I can't remember who they are playin' though...guess I will find out soon enough!

Kerrie, I'm wondering, which is a worse mascot? Bearcat or Beaver? Neither one seems to strike me as particularly fearsome or tough. Of course it still doesn't help me that I haven't a clue what a bearcat is. Knowing this university, it was probably that they couldn't decide between a bear and a cat and gave up and called themselves the bearcats. :rofl: At least now I feel in good company of others with wimpy sounding mascots :wink: And, sorry, Gokul, but Buckeyes is funny too...being named for a nut! :tongue: But, not like I can wash my hands of that either, living in The Buckeye State right along with you.

Oh, and have to add...that's the kind of football party I like! Nobody knows who's playing, but we're going to have a party anyway! That's why I like hanging out with geeks. I went to one March Madness party last year, and we forgot to ever turn on the game :biggrin: We wound up watching The Simpsons on DVD all night.

Last edited:
Kerrie said:

You bet you will ! : Oregon State gets to play the defending National Champs - LSU ! Your game will be one of the biggest games of this week.

I like the name of the Oregon Stadium - Autzen, also known as the 'Nuthouse' :wink: :rofl:

And please don't call your team OSU, there are 3 OSUs in Div-IA.

Last edited:
Oh Geez, watch out now, The Nebraska Cornhuskers just beat Western Ill. 56-17, we are going to rage this year!

Last edited:
Hmmm...looks like Bill Callahan's doing something good.

Serna is going to have one miserable journey home from Baton Rouge...hard luck, all you Oregonians, that was one heck of a game.

Mattius_ said:
Oh Geez, watch out now, The Nebraska Cornhuskers just beat Western Ill. 56-17, we are going to rage this year!

Western Illinois, eh ? Wassamattah - you couldn't find a weak enough Div-IA team, so you play Div-IAA teams ?? :eek:

Gokul43201 said:
Western Illinois, eh ? Wassamattah - you couldn't find a weak enough Div-IA team, so you play Div-IAA teams ?? :eek:

I AGREE, this is UNSPORTSMANLIKE conduct by the coaches
they need a rule to make more top 25 teams play each other more often
real powers must play other top teams more
and too few do now
tradisonal instate rivals are one thing,
but looking for a weak team for a warm up must be banned

miami has been droped by too many teams like FLA and ND that they played every year

I AGREE, this is UNSPORTSMANLIKE conduct by the coaches

They are assigned a schedule, they don't choose their schedule...

Yes, the schedule is created by some NCAA computer - but the coaches too have a role (I think they get to veto some number of allotments - can't find a source) I believe, from the way I've heard ESPN commentators talk about some coach being great at scheduling his season.

Mattius_ said:
They are assigned a schedule, they don't choose their schedule...

cence when, did the NCAA get into the schedule??
the teams AD agree themselves, several years in advance, who plays who as far as NONconfrence games
inside a confrence the inside games schedule is made by the confrence not the NCAA
example FLA plays 11 games and THEY desided THEY NEEDED 6 home games every year so THEY found a weak school that agreed to play away at FLA every year
other than a rubber stamp and some soft rules the NCAA has no part in the schools schedules THEY DONOT SET THEM the schools ADs do it themselfs

Okay, my bad. So the schools do determine their schedule, right ? They are not helpless pawns in the process of scheduling.

What a game by Boise State ! Jared Zabransky (Boise St. QB) has taken over beautifully, where Dinwiddie left off. Oregon State suffers again from a dismal special teams performance, botching 3 kick returns and allowing a punt fake.

Watch out for Boise State !

And yeah, the Miami - FSU game was not bad too.

Gokul43201 said:
What a game by Boise State ! Jared Zabransky (Boise St. QB) has taken over beautifully, where Dinwiddie left off. Oregon State suffers again from a dismal special teams performance, botching 3 kick returns and allowing a punt fake.

Watch out for Boise State !

And yeah, the Miami - FSU game was not bad too.
yes, do you have to rub it in?? :tongue: we are thinking of supporting U of O at this point :grumpy:

i will be in Idaho next week, better not let them know I'm from Oregon eh?

Kerrie said:
yes, do you have to rub it in?? :tongue: we are thinking of supporting U of O at this point :grumpy:

Traitor ! :frown: Quisling ! :grumpy: Flip-flopper ! :mad:

When the going gets tough... :yuck:

It's BuckeyeBall ! Go Buckeyes ! Go Nuge !

Mattius_ said:

Ummmmm... uh, okay !

Moonbear said:
Kerrie, I'm wondering, which is a worse mascot?...
I'd like to answer that one if I may butt in... :biggrin:
I truly believe this honor should be bestowed upon the U of Oregon DUCKS! what a dumb name... jeez... :wink: (<--Oooooo! Our 'wink' is back on the panel! --> :biggrin:)

C'mon, who doesn't love the Mighty Ducks ? :smile:

Tsunami said:
I'd like to answer that one if I may butt in... :biggrin:
I truly believe this honor should be bestowed upon the U of Oregon DUCKS! what a dumb name... jeez... :wink: (<--Oooooo! Our 'wink' is back on the panel! --> :biggrin:)

I think the U of Akron Zips get the honor. Named Zips because the zipper was invented in Akron, OH. Their home stadium is the Rubber Bowl (in spite of the fact that the rubber companies left town).

Now, if they could just get a home game against the USC Trojans.

:rofl: :rofl:

I wonder if there's more such fun match-ups...

Last edited:
It's just that time of the week when I say...

:tongue2: WOOOOOHOOOOOO ! :tongue2:

Wow, did Arizona State blow away Iowa or what ?? Say, Janitor, did you watch that ?