Calculating Weight Loss Rate: TGA/DSC Measurements

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of weight loss rate and whether to use the initial mass or previous recorded data for the calculation. The speaker also mentioned plotting a graph and seeking advice on how to interpret the data. Additionally, they mentioned offering DSC and TGA measurements on a charges basis in India.
Oxygenne
I want to calculate the rate of weight loss and not sure should I keep the initial mass at the initial time always or should I use the previous mass of recorded data

should be m0 as inital value always or is should change to m3-m2, m4-m3, in this way.

I plotted the graph and it does not have a similar shape so i have to make a choice but I am confuse.

I look forward to your advise. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oxygenne said:
I want to calculate the rate of weight loss and not sure should I keep the initial mass at the initial time always or should I use the previous mass of recorded data

should be m0 as inital value always or is should change to m3-m2, m4-m3, in this way.

I plotted the graph and it does not have a similar shape so i have to make a choice but I am confuse.

I look forward to your advise. Thank you!
It depends on what you want. Do you want to see, on your graph, the weight that is lost each second, or the weight that have been lost since the beginning of the run?

TP

It is usually the instantaneous rate of mass loss (dm/dt) that is the useful quantity, and therefore the slope of the mass curve is what one typically uses.

1. What is TGA/DSC measurement?

TGA/DSC (Thermogravimetric Analysis/Differential Scanning Calorimetry) is a technique used to measure the weight loss and thermal properties of a substance as it is heated or cooled. It can provide information about the composition, purity, and thermal stability of a material.

2. How is weight loss rate calculated using TGA/DSC measurements?

The weight loss rate is calculated by measuring the change in weight of a sample as it is heated or cooled, and then dividing that change by the initial weight of the sample. This can be expressed in units of percentage or mass loss per unit time.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of weight loss rate calculations using TGA/DSC?

The accuracy of weight loss rate calculations can be affected by factors such as the sample preparation, heating rate, temperature range, gas flow rate, and the type of atmosphere used during the measurement. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain reliable results.

4. What applications is TGA/DSC commonly used for?

TGA/DSC is commonly used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, polymers, and materials science for characterizing the thermal properties and stability of substances. It can also be used for quality control and research purposes.

5. How can TGA/DSC measurements be used to optimize weight loss in weight loss programs?

TGA/DSC measurements can be used to determine the thermal properties and stability of substances used in weight loss products, such as supplements and meal replacements. This information can help in selecting the most effective ingredients and formulations for weight loss. Additionally, TGA/DSC can be used to monitor the thermal degradation of foods, which can affect their nutritional value and ultimately impact weight loss efforts.