Is it possible for life to exist on a star?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Star
In summary, while it is not possible for life as we know it to exist on a star due to its extreme conditions, there is a possibility for life to exist on planets or moons orbiting a star. These exoplanets may have the right conditions, such as a suitable distance from the star and the presence of water, to support life. However, more research and exploration is needed to determine the exact conditions necessary for life to exist on a star's orbiting bodies.
Loren Booda
Extraterrestrial life usually implies planetary biota. What about that on stars like brown dwarfs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry that we know as needed for life won't work in temperatures involved on brown dwarf surfaces. Anything else is just a speculation.

This reminds me of the old joke about a planned mission to the sun. How can you land on the sun? You go at night.

There was a SF short story built around the idea that there stars are inhabited creatures made of plasma, and ball lightnings are just the simplest versions of these creatures.

Not sure if it was written in Polish, or translated to Polish, I think I have read it about 30 years ago.

Borek said:
There was a SF short story built around the idea that there stars are inhabited creatures made of plasma, and ball lightnings are just the simplest versions of these creatures.

Not sure if it was written in Polish, or translated to Polish, I think I have read it about 30 years ago.

In practical terms, it is a "what is life" question. The deeper and completely speculative abyss is the question of the requirements for intelligence. Could non-biological systems produce the conditions necessary for awareness to emerge [or however you want to define life in that sense]? The short answer: We have no idea. No such thing has ever been observed - a philosophical discussion at best.

Ivan Seeking said:
In practical terms, it is a "what is life" question. The deeper and completely speculative abyss is the question of the requirements for intelligence. Could non-biological systems produce the conditions necessary for awareness to emerge [or however you want to define life in that sense]? The short answer: We have no idea. No such thing has ever been observed - a philosophical discussion at best.

Yes, awareness. For example, trees are aware. Sort of.

There's no single criterion for what is considered 'alive' just for things on earth, so trying to decide whether ball lightning is alive would probably be impossible unless it tells us it is

I wouldn't say that the stars themselves are alive. However, they do reproduce.

Loren Booda said:
Extraterrestrial life usually implies planetary biota. What about that on stars like brown dwarfs?

Borek said:
Chemistry that we know as needed for life won't work in temperatures involved on brown dwarf surfaces. Anything else is just a speculation.
Right, electronic chemistry is out. So is there any sense in which plasmas could be said to self organize? Plasmas certainly do things that seem cohesive to the eye, if briefly so. One advantage of chemical life on Earth over theoretical solar 'life' is that the former is constantly consumed with a search for an energy source. That's not a problem on a star.

Borek said:

I've seen that concept presented a few times, including the character "Trance Gemini" on the "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" TV series. If one of the ones that I saw originated in Poland, it would have to have been written by Stanislaw Lem. He's the only Polish writer whose material I have read.
Dr. Robert Forward wrote a really cool novel entitled "Dragon's Egg" that details a complete technological civilization evolving on the surface of a neutron star. There is also a sequel called "Starquake". They're really quite brain-stimulating as well as highly entertaining.

Borek said:

Adding to Borek's comment - "Gliese 229B is a brown dwarf orbiting the star; although it is too small to sustain hydrogen-burning nuclear fusion, with a mass of 20 to 50 times that of Jupiter it is still too massive to be a planet. Gliese 229B was the first confirmed substellar mass object. This object has a surface temperature of 950 K."
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_229B

and http://www.aanda.org/index.php?option=com_article&access=doi&doi=10.1051/0004-6361:20078229&Itemid=129"

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
Dr. Robert Forward wrote a really cool novel entitled "Dragon's Egg" that details a complete technological civilization evolving on the surface of a neutron star. There is also a sequel called "Starquake". They're really quite brain-stimulating as well as highly entertaining.

I read both of them a long time ago. They were quite good.

1. Can life exist on a star?

It is highly unlikely that life can exist on a star. Stars are incredibly hot and inhospitable environments with intense radiation and extreme temperatures, making it impossible for any known form of life to survive.

2. Is there any evidence of life on stars?

Currently, there is no evidence of life on stars. Scientists have not been able to detect any signs of life or habitable conditions on stars.

3. Could life exist on a star in the future?

It is highly unlikely that life will ever exist on a star. Stars are constantly undergoing nuclear fusion, which produces immense heat and radiation that would make it impossible for any form of life to survive.

4. Are there any stars that could potentially support life?

There are certain types of stars, such as red dwarf stars, that have been theorized to potentially support life. However, these stars still have extreme conditions that make it difficult for life to exist.

5. What about planets orbiting stars?

There is a possibility that life could exist on a planet orbiting a star, as long as the planet is in the habitable zone and has the necessary conditions for life to thrive. However, this does not necessarily mean that life can exist directly on the star itself.