Proving the Equality of Indicial Notation Using Cross Product Properties

In summary, the cross product of two unit vectors is zero unless and until the vectors are in the same direction. The same is true for the right side of the equation.
Mugged
Hello, I am supposed to prove that the below is true

[[tex]\delta_{}im[/tex][tex]\delta_{}jn[/tex](em x en)][tex]\bullet[/tex][[tex]\delta_{}pr[/tex][tex]\delta_{}qs[/tex](er x es)] = [tex]\delta_{}ip[/tex][tex]\delta_{}jq[/tex] - [tex]\delta_{}iq[/tex][tex]\delta_{}jp[/tex]

where em, en,... are random unit vectors and that bullet point is supposed to be the dot product. I am supposed to consider all possible combinations of m,n,r, and s to show this.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
first you can write everything in one test line, is this what you mean, clik on it to see how
[tex] \delta_{im} \delta_{jn} (e_m \times e_n) \cdot \delta_{pr} \delta_{qs} (e_r \times e_s) = \delta_{ip}\delta_{jq} -\delta_{iq}\delta_{jp} [/tex]

now have a try simplifying right hand side using the properties of the delta function

also note they're not "random" unit vectors, the cross product should be easy to evaluate if you assume they are an orthornormal basis set (with a handedness)

thank you lanedance for showing me how to properly do that tex code stuff, i was wondering why mine looked so funky. and yeah those are orthonormal vectors.

as for the delta property, is there one you had in mind because i still haven't a clue as to which one to use. the one i have in front of me all deal with the levi-civita symbol and i don't want to use that in the proof

start with the defnition
[tex]\delta_{ij}= 0, \ \ if i=j[/tex]

for example
[tex] \delta_{im} e_m = e_i[/tex]

Last edited:
im sorry i still don't quite follow

ok what don't you follow?

PS, I'm happy to help you work it, but am not going to do the whole thing for you

just the first step would be a gift, please I am still really confused how i go about using [tex] \delta_{im} e_m = e_i[/tex]

ok here's first step (same as post #4)
[tex] \delta_{im} (e_m \times e_n) = (e_i \times e_n) [/tex]

now apply the rest of the delta functions

ok so after doing that to the left hand side i end up with:
[tex] (e_i \times e_j) \cdot (e_p \times e_q) [/tex]

and then going in reverse to produce the deltas i want, i get:

[tex] \delta_{ip} \delta_{jq} (e_p \times e_q) \cdot \delta_{jp} \delta_{iq} (e_j \times e_i) [/tex]

but i don't know how i would produce the right hand side...

Ok, start with:
[tex]
(e_i \times e_j) \cdot (e_p \times e_q)
[/tex]
Can you give me an argument using the properties of the cross product that that is zero unless the set {i,j} is equal to the set {p,q}? And that the same is true of the right side?

What is indicial notation proof?

Indicial notation proof is a mathematical method used to prove equations involving exponents or powers. It involves using the rules of exponents to manipulate and simplify equations, making it easier to prove their validity.

How is indicial notation proof used in science?

Indicial notation proof is commonly used in science to prove equations in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to validate equations and formulas used to describe natural phenomena and make predictions.

What are the basic rules of indicial notation proof?

The basic rules of indicial notation proof include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and chain rule. These rules govern how exponents are combined, divided, raised to powers, and used with logarithms.

Can indicial notation proof be used for equations with variables?

Yes, indicial notation proof can be used for equations with variables. The rules of indicial notation can be applied to expressions with variables, making it possible to prove equations with unknown values.

Are there any limitations to using indicial notation proof?

While indicial notation proof is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for proving all equations, and some equations may require other mathematical methods to be proven. Additionally, some equations may be too complex to be solved using indicial notation alone.