How Can I Calculate My Target's Distance?

• Thread starter BeginnerPal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various practical ways to determine the distance of a small building from a certain point. Suggestions include using a car and tracking time and velocity, using a laser range finder, triangulation, using a radar or topographical map, using a parallax rangefinder, and using a telephoto lens and calculating from the image size. The conversation also mentions using mirror flashing Morse code to obtain GPS coordinates from someone in the building. The height of the building is not known in this scenario.
BeginnerPal
I find applicable physics that we can experiment practically is very interesting.

Assume I'm in a flat landscape, far away there is a small building. How can i know the distance to that small building from where i stand? I need a practical achievable solution...

My first suggestion is:

1. Drive a car at a certain fixed speed from the starting point let's say the speed is 40 km/h to the end/target location.

2. We have to track the time from starting point to the end point.

3. By the time we reach the end point. We apply the following formula:
Distance = Velocity/Time ... Obviously unit conversion has to be involved in
someway or another.

My second suggestion is:

Use a good laser range finder.

The distance doesn't have to be perfectly accurate. Are my suggestions O.K? Do you have
any other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Triangulate.

Do you know the height of the building?

Radar?

Topographical map that shows the building?

A parallax rangefinder?

Knowing the focal length of the camera's telephoto lens (exactly), calculate from the size of the image on the film.

BeginnerPal said:
My first suggestion is:

1. Drive a car at a certain fixed speed from the starting point let's say the speed is 40 km/h to the end/target location.

2. We have to track the time from starting point to the end point.

3. By the time we reach the end point. We apply the following formula:
Distance = Velocity/Time ... Obviously unit conversion has to be involved in
someway or another.
If you're going to drive a car to the building, just use the odometer. Forget about maintaining a known, uniform speed and measuring the time.

Use mirror flashing Morse code with someone in the building, to have them relay their GPS coordinates to you, and subtract from yours.

Good solutions. For those who asked the height of the building, height is not known just assume the location is place where boundary lines was drawn in square to represent the building virtually. Thanks for all of your responses.

1. How do I calculate the distance to my target using a ruler?

To calculate the distance to your target using a ruler, you will need to measure the height of your target and the angle of elevation from the ground to the top of the target. Then, using basic trigonometry, you can calculate the distance using the formula: distance = height / tan(angle).

2. Can I calculate my target's distance using a laser rangefinder?

Yes, a laser rangefinder is a very accurate and convenient tool for calculating distances to targets. Simply point the laser at the base of your target and press the button to get an accurate measurement of the distance.

3. Do I need to know the height of my target to calculate its distance?

Yes, knowing the height of your target is essential for accurate distance calculation. Without the height, you will not have all the necessary information to use the trigonometric formula.

4. How can I calculate the distance to a moving target?

Calculating the distance to a moving target can be more challenging, but it is possible. You will need to measure the angle of elevation to the target at different points in time and use the distance formula for each measurement. Then, you can take an average of these distances to get a more accurate result.

5. Is there a more accurate way to calculate distances to targets?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating distances to targets, and some may be more accurate than others depending on the situation. For example, using a rangefinder or a laser rangefinder will likely be more accurate than using a ruler and trigonometry. Additionally, there are more advanced techniques such as using GPS or satellite imagery to calculate distances to targets.