Critical field for a type I superconductor

In summary, the critical field for a type I superconductor is the maximum magnetic field at which it can still exhibit superconductivity. It is determined experimentally and can vary for different materials. When a type I superconductor reaches its critical field, it transitions back to its normal conducting state. The critical field is an important parameter for understanding and utilizing superconducting materials.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Consider a type I superconducting material with a parabolic coexistence curve separating the uniform superconducting and normal phases. H is the external magnetic field and T is temperature. Ignore the tiny magnetization of the normal phase. The critical field is
Hc = H0 +a*T + b*T^2.

a) Why must the coefficient a =0?
b) Find the latent heat per unit volume as a function of T along the coexistence curve
c) Calculate the discontinuity in the specific heat per unit volume at constant H along the coexistence curve

Homework Equations

Hc = H0 +a*T + b*T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly at a loss on this one. I know that with a type I superconductor, the Meissner effect vanishes instantly if the external magnetic field exceeds this critical field, Hc, but I have no idea why that means the coefficient a has to vanish. Is it just that we want the vertex of the parabola to lie on the field axis?

I'm guessing that for part b I want to use the Clausius-Clapeyron relation, but not sure... and as for c I'm afraid I can't say much until I do a and b. Any hints? Any good references that actually discuss this? This is supposed to be part of "thermodynamics review" from undergrad days, but my undergrad text says almost nothing about superconductors, so it's not helping too much.

Physics news on Phys.org

a) The coefficient a must be zero because at the critical field, the superconducting and normal phases have the same free energy. This means that the slope of the coexistence curve at the critical field must be zero, and therefore the coefficient a must be zero.

b) To find the latent heat per unit volume, we can use the Clausius-Clapeyron relation, which relates the latent heat to the slope of the coexistence curve:

L = T*(dHc/dT)

Since a=0, the critical field is only dependent on T through the term b*T^2. Therefore, we can rewrite the above equation as:

L = T*(2bT)

L = 2b*T^2

c) The discontinuity in specific heat per unit volume at constant H is given by the difference in specific heat between the two phases at the coexistence curve, divided by the temperature range:

ΔC = (Csc - Cn)/ΔT

Where Csc and Cn are the specific heats per unit volume of the superconducting and normal phases, respectively. At the coexistence curve, the two phases have the same free energy, so:

Csc = Cn

Therefore, the discontinuity in specific heat is zero along the coexistence curve.

1. What is the critical field for a type I superconductor?

The critical field for a type I superconductor is the maximum magnetic field at which the material can still exhibit superconductivity. Above this field, the material will transition back to its normal conducting state.

2. How is the critical field determined for a type I superconductor?

The critical field is determined experimentally by gradually increasing the magnetic field applied to the superconductor until it begins to exhibit resistance and the superconducting state is lost. This value is then recorded as the critical field for that particular material.

3. Is the critical field the same for all type I superconductors?

No, the critical field can vary for different type I superconductors. It is dependent on factors such as the material's composition and temperature. Some materials may have a higher critical field than others.

4. What happens to a type I superconductor when it reaches the critical field?

When a type I superconductor reaches its critical field, it undergoes a phase transition back to its normal conducting state. This means that it will no longer exhibit properties such as zero resistance and perfect diamagnetism.

5. What is the significance of the critical field for type I superconductors?

The critical field is an important parameter for understanding and utilizing superconducting materials. It helps determine the maximum magnetic field that can be applied to a superconductor before it loses its superconducting properties, and can also give insight into the material's superconducting behavior.